Notices

Need help/info! Springs/struts install dropped too much!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
phoenixitc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/info! Springs/struts install dropped too much!

I just had a set of H&R OE springs and Koni yellows installed on my 95 Accord EX 4dr. The rear dropped over two inches . I had the tech set the perch at the lowest setting. I can't even get the alignment done. I only wanted a 1 inch drop.
Should I have the rear struts set to the highest perch? The front looks ok, but the rear is nasty!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:30 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Have the rear set to wherever the front is set. Obviously they're set on different perches.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
phoenixitc

Originally Posted by IamNemo
Have the rear set to wherever the front is set. Obviously they're set on different perches.
No, the mechanic put all four struts on the lowest setting. He's telling me that the advertised H&R OE spring drop is more than just a .25" to .50"

He suggested redoing the rear struts to the top perch, leaving the fronts to the lowest. This should give the car a different stance and raise the rear at least 1 inch.

Here's another question: The Koni yellows have three perch settings. What do each represent in position height relative to Accord OEM height. Is the top perch stock height or higher than stock?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by phoenixitc
No, the mechanic put all four struts on the lowest setting. He's telling me that the advertised H&R OE spring drop is more than just a .25" to .50"

He suggested redoing the rear struts to the top perch, leaving the fronts to the lowest. This should give the car a different stance and raise the rear at least 1 inch.

Here's another question: The Koni yellows have three perch settings. What do each represent in position height relative to Accord OEM height. Is the top perch stock height or higher than stock?
Well I have the SP3 Koni yellows (Neuspeed version) and they have 5 perches, with the middle being the same height as stock. They are about .25" apart.

Another thing to consider is that if you drop the front and back equal amounts you will have more gap up front due the higher wheel arches to allow the front wheels more room when turning and suspension compression. It's a common design on a lot of cars.

If you want a more "even" looking drop, leave the front on the lowest perch and put the rear on the middle perch.

I have mine on the middle in the rear, and one perch lower up front (with H&R sports) 99 sedan, pics in the link below.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
phoenixitc

Originally Posted by jschmid
Well I have the SP3 Koni yellows (Neuspeed version) and they have 5 perches, with the middle being the same height as stock. They are about .25" apart.

Another thing to consider is that if you drop the front and back equal amounts you will have more gap up front due the higher wheel arches to allow the front wheels more room when turning and suspension compression. It's a common design on a lot of cars.

If you want a more "even" looking drop, leave the front on the lowest perch and put the rear on the middle perch.

I have mine on the middle in the rear, and one perch lower up front (with H&R sports) 99 sedan, pics in the link below.
Thanks for this information, it's very useful
I understand the front arches provide for more gap. This is apparent with the drop being very noticeable in the rear. I have zero gap in the rear, that's from a 3" gap with OEM parts. I can't believe it could have possibly gone so low. The car looks as if three really big peoples are sitting in the back seat I do want a more even appearance, so I will have the mechanic raise the rear struts' perch level. If that doesn't work, I'm scrapping the whole deal and putting the original parts back. I'll have a set of barely used Konis and H&R springs available for sale on Ebay
The front has a decent appearance, the back is bad. I am taking into consideration that I still have the OEM 15" wheels on the car.

Your car has a great stance and appearance, btw
Old 08-09-2004, 09:03 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

now THATS wheel gap

and now its here...
Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 AM
phoenixitc

My drop looks similar to the white car's drop however I'm using H&R OE Sports, not their race spring. I'm surprised the combination would drop what looks like at least 3".
Old 08-10-2004, 06:49 AM
phoenixitc

Ok... I called Koni (should have done that before installing the struts) and asked an engineer about my situation. He stated that the front struts have two perch settings and I should have set them to the top one. The rear struts have three perch settings and I should have had them set to the middle. This makes for a stock height in conjunction with a lowering spring. He said I should never use the lowest perch setting with any type of lowering spring. He stated my ride comfort will improve noticeably cuz I feel a little bouncy and am hitting the rear bump stops on big bumps.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 AM
jschmid

So do you think you might have the regular H&R sports rather than the H&R OE? Update us on how it looks once you change the perch settings.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:06 AM
phoenixitc

Originally Posted by jschmid
So do you think you might have the regular H&R sports rather than the H&R OE? Update us on how it looks once you change the perch settings.
The springs are gray in color which is the color for the OE's. The H&R sports are black, according to their website information.

I am considering going back to the original springs and keeping the Konis at the lowest perch setting. Per another Koni guy, this will drop the car about 1inch and maintain a normal ride.