Notices

Rear main seal help for accord

Old 08-06-2004, 06:15 AM
AccordDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal help for accord

Hey guys,

First off I have already searched this forum for info about rear main seal help and found info for civics etc... I have an accord. Ok to the point, I had my rear main seal replaced about 6 months ago, now its leaking again. The place where I got it done said it could be the mating of the seal and the hole have groves or a uneven surface which causes it to leak. they also said it could be an oblong or bad camshaft... now I dont have enough money to have them remove everything to deduce the problem let alone pay the labor to fix... I was wondering if anyone can tell me if its possible to replace the camshaft and or the rear main seal using just a chiltons manual, or do I need a more advanced manual and has anyone done this and would mind giving me a few pointers. I have never done anything like this before... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh its a 95 vtec 2.2l sohc automatic, and also i forgot to mention that while reading the other posts for rear main seal replacement for civics they replaced the clutch also is this possible and should i attemt with my auto?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
RedThunder

There is no clutch with your car, just the torque converter which is bolted to the flywheel. If oil gets on it, no big deal.

I would check the carrier that bolts to the engine block that holds the rear main seal. It may have lost it's seal to the block, oil will pass the carrier and seem like you have a rear main leak, but actually not.

Also check the block where the front motor mount braket bolts, on some the block will crack causing an oil leak that will run to the pan rail then the oil will follow around to the area where the pan and the rear main seal's carrier is and it could be misinterpreted as a leak from the rear main.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 AM
AccordDreamer

oh wow I didnt even know about those possibilities... thanks for that info