Notices

Buying a 2000 or 2001 Prelude...What Color?

Old 04-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2000 or 2001 Prelude...What Color?

I am Buying a 2000 or 2001 Prelude for myself.....I hate the pearl and blue color so don't say those colors.

But mostly I'm looking at:

Black
Silver
Red

I was in the past asking questions about my friends new prelude and now I've decided to buy one myself...

I drove his from stock to the newly modified car it is today.

It went from completely stock...

To Modified:

Iceman cold air intake
Tien Flex Coilovers
Tien EDFC
V-tec Controller Dyno Tuned
DC sports headers
Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat-back
Hi-Flow cat

And I was sold after I drove it with the mods. I never knew a Honda could have that kind of pull. It would shove you back into the seat. We also were driving V-tec to V-tec when shifting up to 8000rpms or above. Very nice. I've had 5 civics and only two with engine swaps. One was a 94 dx coupe with ls non-vtec and the other was a 94 lx sedan with a B16 and they never had this kind of pull. The H22a4 is one of the best motors Honda made.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:45 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

The H22 *seems* and is a great motor.. It's very audible, has decent torque etc.

The strange thing is you can hop in a GSR and it doesn't feel half as quick, but in reality it is dead even w/the Lude in terms of speed. It has a much smoother and less audible power band that is somewhat deceptive.

The Lude's downfall is the near 3000lb chassis it has to haul around (referring to the 5th gen.) and lack of aftermarket support.

You need to drive a hybrid first.. or maybe even an ITR if you get the chance.

I'm not knocking the Lude, I love it. It does everything well. Comfy for around town, long trips, handles/brakes/accels well. But in my experience the B series, and DC chassis have more potential and a huge amount of aftermarket support. Not too mention all the hybrid options you have available.

The 4th gen Lude however is a different story. It is substanitally faster than the 5th gen.

Also the DC header (PS hondas only have 1.) he has is not a good idea.. It is poorly designed, and has been shown to cost hp vs. the stock manifold. It's only real advantage is weight savings over the stock manifold. I hope you werent adding that to your mod list.

I have a NBP (Nighthawk Black Pearl.) 5th gen.. Great color when it's clean.

I would look @silver 1st.. red would be my 2nd choice.

Goodluck on your Lude search.. you will enjoy it
Old 04-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

I'm focusing mostly on reliability and power.

The prelude has the best of both. My friend bought his and drove from Colorado to San Diego...And then Back. With an oil change in between.

I would trust the reliability of a prelude with simple I/H/E mods more than a highly modified and hybrid civic or integ. I do a lot of city driving and rely on my car all the time to have no problems. So Prelude is the choice for me.

Also the suspension he bought "Tien Flex" turned the car into the greatest road handler.

But I will have to do some research on a new header for the car.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

The Lude is very reliable.. as long as it's not boosted etc.

If that's what you are after, the Lude is great.

In all honesty its the best all around Honda IMO. Looks, reliability, fuel economy, cost to maintain, etc.

Mine has only bolt ons and has been autox'd and daily driven for 2years now w/0 problems.

Not to mention driven by my girlfriend for the past year.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

Is the Black just hard to keep clean and look nice?? Because that was my first choice.

And since you have one have you found a header that suits the Prelude better than stock?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Ohio99Lude

I also have a Nighthawk Black Pearl Prelude and yes it is hard to keep clean but it does look nice once it is washed and waxed.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:07 PM
FunctionMotoring
HAN Approved Vendor

Originally Posted by Johnny B
Is the Black just hard to keep clean and look nice?? Because that was my first choice.

And since you have one have you found a header that suits the Prelude better than stock?
Black is just hard to keep clean, shows swirls scratches etc.. But when it's clean nothing looks better..

Red will draw attention, get you speeding tickets, and possibly raise your insurance premium

Silver will stay cooler, and also look better for many years.

A header to look into is the SMSP header, it is very expensive but well worth the money.

They're are more out there but I haven't studied up on my H-series products in quite some time.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

I think I'm going to get black.....I just buy the Mr. Clean thing...

Two of my friends swear that thing is the best....And there cars are always clean looking....Who knows..
Old 04-13-2004, 12:03 AM
monkey

black is the best color for any car.

i have EBP only because there weren't any NBP ludes left.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

My 'Lude has 101,400 miles on it! I drive about 60-80 miles/day, and other than routine maintainance, I haven't had a problem. Feels like there's another 100,000 miles left to go on it (even the clutch is still good!)

Quick Reply: Buying a 2000 or 2001 Prelude...What Color?