Notices

1988 Prelude does not want to shift....

Old 04-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Tinkersan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Prelude does not want to shift....

Alright.. you guys helped me before regarding a vacuum leak, now I have a clutch problem.
Driving 2 blocks up the street from home, my car decides to not want to change gears.
I have a Honda Prelude 1988 2.0 Si
Yesterday, I had an issue where I had to almost floor the clutch in order to be able to shift gears. Massive free play before clutch actually engaged. My friend looked at it, realized my fluid for the clutch was low, so we topped it up.
I checked that reservoir when I had the shifting problem and it's still full.
The car can get into gear if you don't have the engine running (apparently it's possible, didn't know that) but I can't get it from first to second when I press down on the clutch. There is some pressure on the clutch when I press down on it, unlike the massive free play issue, where I had none.
Any ideas what it can be? I believe when the car is in gear, it will move, so the gears themselves are not the issue, it's just switching gears is the problem.
FYI, when I do leave the car in first gear, and restart the engine, I hold the clutch pedal in, car starts, and without even tapping the gas, car starts to move, while clutch pedal is pushed to the floor.
Hope that's enough of a description, and that you guys can help me find out what's wrong and where to start.
Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:18 AM
ludeboom

you definitely have air in your clutch line and/or slave cylinder. you will need to bleed your hydraulic system via the bleed bolt on the slave cylinder.
the reason you cant shift gears is because the air in your clutch line is compressing when you try to pull out the clutch. fluid doesnt compress as easily as air...and that is why they use fluid for brake/clutch high pressure systems.

~boom
Old 04-08-2004, 03:06 PM
highmileage
Gas prices suck.

Might want to check the clutch master and slave cylinder to see if they're leaking. If they're not leaking then check the clutch hose running from the clutch slave cylinider to the clutch damper on the passenger side wheel well where it mates up with a steel line. Something is leaking. I just replaced my slave cylinder and clutch hose last week..its a DIY job.

Chris
Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Tinkersan

okay.. bled the slave cylinder.. now I have zero pressure on the clutch.
I can top up the fluid near the master cylinder, and I can leave the bleed valve open, pump the clutch and the fluid disappears...

I can't get it to re-pressureize and get the clutch going.

Suggestions??
Old 04-09-2004, 01:14 PM
ludeboom

did you bleed it correctly?
you realize you need 2 people for this right?
id recommend at least buying the chiltons or haynes manual, make your life alot easier.

are you able to detect any leaks from under the engine/tranny while bleeding

if the reservoir is empty then of course you will have no pressure, there has to be fluid at all times while pumping and bleeding...
otherwise you will suck air into the line

~boom
Old 04-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Tinkersan

Got my friend to help me out.. bled it and there are no leaks from under the engine, you get some pressure back into the clutch pedal, but not enough pressure for the pedal to kick back like how it's supposed to be.. I yanked out the slave cylinder and had someone push on the pedal, and the piston does move, but not strong enough. Possible that the slave cylinder is no good (ie. leaky, air leak, something.. ) and if so, replacement or rebuild kit for it, are they available? More likely a special order part?

There is no leak on the clutch dampener area either, my main focus on it is that there is little or no pressure in the clutch system. I hope it has nothing to do with any extensive damage like the release fork or anything else with the tranny.

I realize that once the car is in gear from a complete startup, it will automatically move as in it's engaged, my question is, am I supposed to be able to get a lot of movement on the release fork or should it be somewhat stiff? With the slave cylinder gone, you can jiggle the fork a tad and I wondered if that's normal.

Thanks again guys!

V

Originally Posted by ludeboom
did you bleed it correctly?
you realize you need 2 people for this right?
id recommend at least buying the chiltons or haynes manual, make your life alot easier.

are you able to detect any leaks from under the engine/tranny while bleeding

if the reservoir is empty then of course you will have no pressure, there has to be fluid at all times while pumping and bleeding...
otherwise you will suck air into the line

~boom
Old 04-11-2004, 06:29 PM
bigt61

check your master cylinder as well.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 PM
ludeboom

the release fork should have resistance on it if the slave cylinder is removed. it connects to the throwout bearing and then the pressure plate which is not easy to engage by hand.
there is some play but not alot.
that is why the clutch is hydraulic like the brakes

~boom
Old 04-11-2004, 07:00 PM
prelude5731

sounds like you need a new damn car. it's a freaking 88.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Tinkersan

Originally Posted by prelude5731
sounds like you need a new damn car. it's a freaking 88.
No way man! Been through a lot with this. The All Wheel Steer feature on this is neat! And it's gonna be the toy car once it's fully operational again!

Quick Reply: 1988 Prelude does not want to shift....