Notices

Water SPOTS

Old 07-25-2003, 10:12 AM
IdealConcepts
FasterThanASpeedingTicket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on getting out water spots on the windshield and paint with out going to a professional detailer? I just moved into a new home, finally a garage for the R, and the water has alot of calcium which I think is leaving more than the usually water spots. I normaly was the car early in the morning or late in the after noon to make sure it isn't in heat of the sun and dry it off in the garage. Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Tony

Get a clay bar kit. Completely strip the old polish/wax and start over. The clay will remove any surface impurities including water spots. Follow this procedure:

wash with dish soap (Dawn)
clay bar the complete car
wash again but with a high quality car wash soap
dry with an absorber or high quality 100% cotton towels (made in us)
apply any surface prep/cleaner wax/etc.
apply any polish/wax specifically for swirl marks (if you have any)
apply a final coat of high quality polish/wax

It's a lot of work, but it will be well worth it.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:23 AM
IdealConcepts
FasterThanASpeedingTicket

Thanks Tony, I will try that. Any suggestions for removing water spots from the windshield or can I also use the clay bar for the windshield as well?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Tony

There's a few things you can try for water spots on glass. First, start out with a good glass cleaner. I use 409 Glass and Surface. If that won't work, try a diluted mixture of vinegar and water (2 parts water to 1 part vinegar). Windex also makes a pre-diluted vinegar solution if you want to give that a try. A similar mixture of Simple Green and water may work if you need something a little stronger.

If these suggestions don't work, you can (as a last resort) use steel wool. Make sure you get the finest gauge you can find. I will caution you that I've never tried this and don't recommend it unless it's absolutely necessary. I've read of other people using steel wool with good results, but keep in mind that there is the possibility that you can scratch the glass. Use with caution.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:15 PM
kabob

Also remember that if you have tinted windows to stick with plain soap and water. Any ammonia-based cleaner such as Windex can damage your tint.