Notices

Replacing brake fluid in R

Old 07-18-2003, 06:23 AM
BLKITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to replace the brake fluid in the R, and have a couple of questions.

About how much brake fluid will I need to buy to bleed the entire system?

Do I need to bleed the ABS modulator separately and, if so, how? The 1996-97 service manual shows a separte procedure for bleeding the ABS modulator, but the unit under the hood of my 2000 R doesn't look anything like the one in the service manual and doesn't appear to have a bleed screw or fill cap. Therefore, I assume that that is a change between the the 1996-97 and 2000 model years. (I have a 1998 service manual on order, but for now all I have is the 1996 with 1997 supplement).

Is the bleed sequence the same: RR, FL, RL, FR?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Jan Niemi

First, buy a Mityvac vacuum pump (it comes with everything you need for bleeding brakes)

Second, buy at least 2 quarts of brake fluid, you want to flush the system thoroughly, until there is no discoloration in the fluid.

Third, don't worry about the abs HCU

Fourth, start from the closest point and work to the farthest, then go through it again in the same order. Unless otherwise specified in the manual

With the Mityvac, you can do this yourself with no help, it's one of my favorite tools.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:08 AM
TypeR 801

I've got the Mityvac and SpeedBleeders. Both work well. If you install the speedbleeders I'd recommend teflon (plumbers) tape on the threads to avoid air sepage (sp?) and slightly spongy pedal. While it's never been a problem for me, others have had that problem.

And in my experiences, about 4 brake bleeds on the Type R now, one quart of fluid is more than enough to get completely fresh fluid through the whole system (actually 3/4 of a quart is more than enough). Also be sure and bleed the clutch servo too. It takes a minimal amount of fluid and probably needs it more than your brakes do.

Originally Posted by Jan Niemi
First, buy a Mityvac vacuum pump (it comes with everything you need for bleeding brakes)

Second, buy at least 2 quarts of brake fluid, you want to flush the system thoroughly, until there is no discoloration in the fluid.

Third, don't worry about the abs HCU

Fourth, start from the closest point and work to the farthest, then go through it again in the same order. Unless otherwise specified in the manual

With the Mityvac, you can do this yourself with no help, it's one of my favorite tools.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:40 PM
hondafanatic

ok the propper order to bleed the brakes is:

1. passenger rear side
2. driver side front
3. driver side rear
4. passenger side front

you dont need a vaccuum bleeder. just get a bleeder valve and a cup that is about 1/2 quart.

hook the bleeder valve to the bleeder, then loosen the bleeder and go pump the break pedal.

MAKE SURE NOT TO LET THE MASTER CYLINDER DRY, you will have problems.

then close it.

repeat for every wheel.

buy too much brake fluid and just dont use it all. i used 1 large bottle of the stuff.

if you have any questions i can email you the PDF pages from the helms manual.

and i am very curious as to what a clutch servo is. please inform me.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:12 PM
kabob

Eh? I thought you were supposed to start from the furthest point from the master cylinder (passenger side, rear) and work your way from there? I bled my brakes PR, DR, PF and finished up driver side front. Used a little less than a quart (although you'll want to buy one more quart just in case) to flush my entire brake fluid (stupid previous owner let it get pitch black).

I didn't use any special tools, speedbleeders or whatnot. Just attached a flexible hose to the end of my bleeding screws and squirted into a cup until the fluid ran clear. Takes 2 ppl to do it (I was pumping the brake pedal, my friend was watching the fluid squirting out) but that's the easiest way to do it.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:23 PM
hondafanatic

that info is out of the helms manual.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:32 PM
kabob

Hmm.. I guess I should crack open my Helms manual sometime? :lol:
Old 07-20-2003, 09:14 PM
kabob

Hmm.. I guess I should crack open my Helms manual sometime? :lol: