Notices

ITR LSD question

Old 07-17-2003, 04:41 AM
e r i c s 9 9 s i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has a CRX with a JDM B16 w/LSD that he baught from hmotorsonline and when he jacks up his car and spins a wheel the other side spins the same way...

So I had my civic up in the air last night (JDM ITR motor) and I started to spin my drivers side wheel and the other side spun the opposite way.. Isn't LSD suppost to make both the wheels spin the same direction at the same time? or is the reason his spins them both due to the factory JDM B16's don't come with LSD and hmotors added an aftermarket one to it?

Have any of you guys with ITR's spun your front wheels while having the car lifted off the ground? Are the wheels still suppost to spin the oppisite direction?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:32 AM
e r i c s 9 9 s i

noone knows the answer to this question?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Dev

Originally Posted by e r i c s 9 9 s i

when he jacks up his car and spins a wheel the other side spins the same way...

Are the wheels still suppost to spin the oppisite direction?

mine do...not 100 but I think the LSD is in action when car is moving forward..not one wheel spinning
Old 07-17-2003, 01:20 PM
TypeR 801

If it's a factory Torsen diff, then it won't work if both wheels are off the ground. Read this and you'll understand why...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm

You'd need to have one wheel on the ground and the other in the air, then try to move it (like remove/tighen lugs) and to verify if a Torsen diff is installed. If the diff is open, it will spin when you apply torque to tighten or loosen the lugs. If you have a (torsen) diff, then it won't move.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:29 PM
BLKITR

Eric,

I just got in and saw your post. Having never paid it any attention in the past, I just went back out to the garage, jacked up the Type R and spun the driver's side tire forward. The passenger side front tire started to spin in the opposite direction very slowly at first and then didn't turn. I reversed direction on the drivers side and still nothing. keep in mind that I had just gotten back from running it pretty hard for about an hour.

I went over to the passenger side and tried the same thing and nothing happend (i.e. the drivers side didn't move at all regardless of direction.

Of course, this is with the car in neutral. By the way, this is on a 2000 Type R with stock transmission, clutch, etc. Keep in mind I don't know anything about transmissions. Engine, suspension and chassis I understand a little about. But as far as trannies go, I don't know jack :lol: . Hope this helps
Old 07-17-2003, 04:47 PM
BLKITR

Okay, I decided to go back out and try something different. If I jack up the front end so that both tires are off the ground, just the car into first gear and then turn one of the front tires the other tire turns in the opposite direction. If the car is in neutral (as it was in my first test above), the only tire that spins is the one that I am turning.

If I jack one side of the car up (so that one front tire is on the ground and one tire is off the ground), put the car in first gear and try to turn the raised tire it won't move. I hope that helps, Eric.

So in conclusion, Type R 801 is right on the money. One tire has to be on the ground to verify if a differential is installed.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by BLKITR
So in conclusion, Type R 801 is right on the money. One tire has to be on the ground to verify if a differential is installed.
Technically that's not true.. in neutral the other wheel might spin some, but should stop. at least that's how every stock LSD I've tested as done. open diff will not stop (until the other wheel stops of course).

But the one tire only in the air probably is best but I've never tried it.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:37 AM
e r i c s 9 9 s i

Thank you Thank you BLKITR for actually going out and testing it out... I knew the car had LSD cause I've dropped the clutch at 4K w/o my hands on the wheel and it goes straight forward... I think I just doubted myself once I saw his car spin both... Thanks Again BLKITR for checking... I really appriciate it...
Old 07-19-2003, 04:15 PM
BLKITR

Hey Eric, no problem. Glad I could help.