Notices

2 questions: tire and motor oil

Old 03-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Jason Moon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does aftermarket motor oil perform better? i was checking out Endless website in the motoroil section today and i was wondering what the difference was from Moblie one synthtic or by any other motor oil. Does it actually perform better? Have any of you tried the Japanese motor oil products?

2nd question is, my RE010 are wearing out and i am planning to try different brand. daily drivin, but also can be used for track regularly. and ADVAN tires caught my eye. What do you guys think? expensive as it is, have any of you guys tried it? :roll:
Old 03-28-2003, 04:43 PM
H.I.D's

Your not really going to know a difference from a synthetic to a different brand of oil. Synthetic is much cleaner than regular motor oils, and has greater viscosity levels. Best on the shelf synthetic, has to be Mobil1. Great oil in street cars and in race cars. I've experimented with Motul in the 2-strokes and that's probably the best japanese/european oil out there. 2-strokes generally get very dirty from burning huge amounts of oil, and whenever we pulled the head off, it was just how it was when we assembled it, when using it.

As far as tires goes..I have the pilot sport cups on my car right now, F**King awesome tires. But for how much they cost and how little they last it's def. not worth buying them. A good tire for street/track use would have to ither be the new toyo RA-1 or the T1-S's. Advan-japanese or Yokahama-american..same thing, is a great tire, very noisy though, and last half the period as the sport cups do. You'll be 3/32 no time on those!
Khumo ecsta's are good for the money or the Falken Azenis tires are great for the money. Well I hope I could help out.
later!
-Jon
Old 03-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Aj

John is right, stick with Mobil1 and you'll be ok, no reason to spend more on anything else. As far as performing better, other than keeping your car in check, one doesn't really do more than another. There have been tests, and tests that disprove those tests, and so on and so forth. Bottom line, oil is oil, synthetic is the way to go.

As far as tires, some of the best rated tires out there are the Potenza S-03 Pole Postion, Falken Azenis, ES300, Toyo T1-S (what I run), Pirelli P-Zero Nero, A032R, and I'm sure others. For the price, the Azenis is the way to go, as far as handling goes the S-03 is probably the leader. You also have the SP9000 which I think is a great tire and ran for a while, but is better for wet climates like south Florida where I am. i'd stay away from the Pilots or Michelans at all, they're just way over priced, and according to all the different places that sell them, they don't handle as well as the bridgestones, at almost double the price. For that much money($235 x 4), they should come home and do my laundry.

Any way, good luck...

Later,
Aj
Old 03-29-2003, 04:12 AM
Trey

Personallt I found mobil1 to be too thin and in my last 2 integras I would burn off 1 qt per oil change. I have switched to Amsoil which I pay the same to less per quart (Depends on how many cases I order) for what I condisder a higher grade synthetic oil. Just what makes me warm and fuzzy

Tires, I would suggest 1 of 3 sets for the money . . . Falken Azenis, Kumho MX, Yokohama ES100. All in a 205/50/15

Trey
Old 03-31-2003, 05:55 AM
Stock97ITR#50

Trey's right. The Mobil 1 is really thin. You better have an extra quart in the car at all times. I just changed to Syntec and I hope I don't have the same problem.
I've had my Type R for about a month or so and it came with Falken Azenis. For the price, these tires kick ass. The ride is rough b/c the sidewalls are tough, and they transform the car into a boat at high speeds (>60 mph). Other than that, they grip nicely in sharp off camber turns, plus they look mean as hell. I had Kumhos on my Prelude and they were ok but wore out quickly.