Notices

Unorthodox Racing Pulleys and shifting question??

Old 03-20-2003, 01:24 PM
ChiNoS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I own a '99 ITR and I have Unorthodox Racing pulleys on it. I heard some bad stuff about it, but do any of you have this on your cars,and if so how are your experiences??

Also, when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it misses in vtec, I dunno if its the synchros, or do you guys have this problem as well. And what's the best rpm to launch at to make use of LSD??
Old 03-20-2003, 05:34 PM
kabob

If you have crappy tires, it's easiest to launch at 4500 rpm and slipping the clutch. I drag with Azenis now and managed to run a 14.739 @ 93+ mph bone stock launching at close to 5500 rpm and carefully slipping the clutch. My 60' time was laughable (2.4 sec) due to the wheelhop, though :P
Old 03-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Aj

Unorthodox puleys are actually pretty nice, but I wouldn't run more than the Power steering and Alternator, and that's only if you don't have a system.

Yes, it's your syncros

Best launch I've gotten was at about 3600 rpm and my 60' was a 2.11 or something close to that, maybe it was like a 2.14 or something. Either way, I have the best luck at 3500-4000 rpm, but everyone has their own driving style, just do what ever works for you.

Later,
Aj
Old 03-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Type R 98

Aj, What are your thoughts on the Unorthodox Crank Pully then? I personally lunch at 3000, it's not too hard on the clutch and it sticks after a real short delay to get it revin... with better tires id definatly try 5000 with more luck
Old 03-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Aj

The crank pulley is a nice piece I suppose, but for a street car, the pulley on your car really needs to be balanced perfectly, otherwise you'll get vibration like a mad man, and on top of that, it's not that much of a weight savings to possibly sacrifice stability. It's a risk that really isn't worth it.

As far as launching goes, at 5000 rpm, you're not going anywhere especially if you have any more power than stock. No matter how good your tires are, street tires have their limits, and 5K is well over it.

Later,
Aj
Old 03-22-2003, 03:30 PM
paul98itr

I researched the pulley a lot, and talked to mecahnics, peple using them, and untorthodox. Then generall answer was that the honda engine is internally balanced so it does not cause engine problems. The pulley does dampen vibration/ noise however, and will cause the engine to be louder.(At leasts it will seem louder.) The only problem the have seen has been the oil pump brakets breaking off, but that was from un-properlly maintained engines. You should be ok! All the malfunctions where on 150k plus mileage civics with few exseptions. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Jan Niemi

It's not worth the risk, just get rid of the a/c and the power steering, then the only thing you will be running is the alternator. Or, if the little bit of extra power isn't worth it, just leave it alone, and make more power elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Aj

Yeah, I agree, although Honda engines are well balanced, there is not garauntee the pulley will be, which will cause some obnoxious vibration and other problems. If there is something in your engine you want to screw with, your crank/crank pulley is not it. Regardless of what any one says, especially people who have never actually used one before, or really knows anything about it, it's one of those things that seems like a minor project, but can turn into a major hassle.

There have been instances of spinning bearings in transmissions as well as spinning rod bearings with poorly balanced crank pulleys, not to mention annoying vibration. Lightened flywheel is what I would go with if I were to try to reduce crank rotating assembly weight, it's a good deal more weight savings than a pulley, and tends to be better balanced and less likely to cuase problems.

If you want a lighter crank pulley, get the Honda N1 crank pulley that ditches your ac and power steering, otherswise, it's not gonna give you a lot of HP any ways.

On a side note, internally balanced, externally balanced with a harmonic dampner, or otherwise, anything on your crank that's not perfrectly balanced wether it's the crank itself, the pulley, the flywheel or otherwise, it will not be a good thing, epecially if you rev your motor higher than stock. So, despite what anyone tells you, it's not a great idea, and there is a reason why not too many people run them, and it has nothing to do with cost....

Later,
Aj