Notices

I finally have some money!

Old 03-18-2003, 12:13 AM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About $2000 to be exact. Anyway, as some already know I have an AEM CAI, and bypass currently installed. I'm thinking to get the the Mugen 4-1 Header, and Mugen Sports Exhaust (blows my $2000). Or, save the $2g's and get a Jackson Racing Supercharger (I know...that makes me a hypocrite...but I want the speed!). Someone talk me out of the Supercharger, or tell me a better way to spend my $2 g's (other than internals). I'm thinking an exhaust and header are necessary next steps...to add to the intake (anyone else understand what i mean by that? lolx).
Old 03-18-2003, 04:30 AM
Trey

I don't think an exhaust is a nedccessary next step. I run stock exhaust and am making 180 hp and 130 ftlbs on a dyno that reads low. And I have killer midrange.

I woudl say a header is a good deal but I would buy a JDM 4-1 or a Toda (Those are my 2 personal picks). The JDM 4-1 and cat/text pipe should run you around $500. Toda/Mugen/SMSP shoudl run you about $1000 with act. I think if you want an exhaust a T1R is a good setup but unneeded.

What year is your R? Also a VAFC with tuning is a good consideration.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:21 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

it's a '98. my friend was telling me about the JDM header as well...
Old 03-18-2003, 10:37 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

and the idea of a supercharger is still tempting :?
Old 03-19-2003, 06:41 AM
paul98itr

I say blow the money on suspension upgrades! MUgen sway bars, good set of coil overs etc.!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Type R 98

i say get more money and do it all =)
Old 03-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Aj

Go on EBay and you can get a jackson for like 1200 bucks, heck, for that matter if you can't, I think I still have a friend selling one brand new for like 140....Jackson is a cool toy, but it knocks you out of ever doing any competitive road racing, as you would be a little outta your league in that classes you'd be running. As far as street goes, it's simple for the most part maintenence free power....

What ever's clever, if worst comes to worst, you can sell the charger. I'm a big all motor fan, but to get the power you get outta a charger, you'll need to spend a lot of money. I'm in process of sleeving mine to a two liter with a set of Toda Spec-C cams, and am hoping to make as much as an otherwise stock ITR with a charger (about 220-230whp)

Any way, later,
Aj
Old 03-19-2003, 12:34 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

Oooh...spec-c is kind hard to keep on a daily driven type-R isn't it?
anywho, trey, where would i go about getting JDM 4-1 Header? I heard Inline 4 in huntington beach...do u know of anywhere else? Also, how can I tell an authentic JDM header, to a rip-off?

AJ, can u give me more info on your friend who is selling the supercharger?

Decisions, Decisions...i wish i could just win the lotto... :roll:
Old 03-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Aj

Sure, let me find out if he's still selling it, one was selling it for like 1200 or maybe he said 1400, not sure, but one was used and one was new, and they wanted about the same thing, but the used one had the ten pound crank pulley included. Let me find out the scoop and if either person still has it, I'll give you his number so you can call. As far as JDM headers go, there are a number of places that sell it.

aj-racing.com
jdmhondaparts.com
ipsracing.com
randdmotorsports.com
Modacar.com
Optauto.com

I'm sure there are others that I just can't think of, but they're all pretty much in the same ball park, actually inline four is usually the cheapest for the DC JDM 4-1, which is basically a nice copy of the OEM one, but comes in stainless or ceramic for about the same cost or less.

Easiest way to tell it's not a rip off, is look for the brackets for the heat shields, I would think most people making fakes wouldn't bother to weld on heat shiles mounting brackets. also make sure it has a 2.5 inch collector. Other than that, that's about it.

Later,
Aj
Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

so, what's wrong with the Mugen 4-2-1 Gymkhana spec? izzit just the price tag that scares u all away?
a friend says, with the JDM header, I'll have to get a JDM Cat...anyone confirm this? does this also apply with the Mugen 4-2-1?