Notices

Do all preludes burn a little oil?

Old 03-12-2004, 03:39 AM
vassil3427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all preludes burn a little oil?

Hey all,
I'm buying this prelude, and the guy selling it says it burns about 1 qt. every 3000 miles. I've been searching around the net and noticed most people with preludes burn some oil. Is this normal? (BTW: He runs Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30)
Old 03-12-2004, 02:10 PM
joostdyk
eluded si

uh...well not with me, i don't burn any oil! 1qt. every 3k miles is a LOT.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:07 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Most VTEC - equiped Preludes will burn about 1qt/3000mi. Mine has done it since I bought it new, an the rate of burnoff hasn't increased at all since. I have 99k on it now (bought it in Dec. of 1999), and never had a problem or issue because of burning oil. It only happens when you engage VTEC, so if you never engage VTEC you probably won't burn a drop. Just check the level at every gas fill up, and if you keep it up you should be o.k.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:55 AM
Barry WY

Originally Posted by vassil3427
Hey all,
I'm buying this prelude, and the guy selling it says it burns about 1 qt. every 3000 miles. I've been searching around the net and noticed most people with preludes burn some oil. Is this normal? (BTW: He runs Mobile 1 Synthetic 5w30)
I've had my '93 Prelude VTEC since October, 1992. I only noticed the oil burning three years ago when I started driving it harder, after I bought my S2000. If I drive all day in 5th at 75 mph, I burn none. If I drive all day in 5th a 90 mph, I burn a quart in 500 miles.

I think a lot, but not all, of VTEC engines burn oil when the higher profile cams are engaged.

Barry in Wyoming
Old 03-14-2004, 08:48 AM
vassil3427

Well I just figured out it its not only burning, oil, its also burning coolant(well not exactly burning, coming out as white smoke). Looks like the head gasket is shot, not a big loss, only a $150 kit, might as well rebuild the whole thing while I'm at it....

BTW: I've read that camshaft seals go bad on most preludes and cause oil to seep past, especially at higher speeds....causing alot of oil consumption...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Barry WY

Originally Posted by vassil3427
Well I just figured out it its not only burning, oil, its also burning coolant(well not exactly burning, coming out as white smoke). Looks like the head gasket is shot, not a big loss, only a $150 kit, might as well rebuild the whole thing while I'm at it....

BTW: I've read that camshaft seals go bad on most preludes and cause oil to seep past, especially at higher speeds....causing alot of oil consumption...
My '93 only has 59,000 miles, but I bet the camshaft seals are the problem. Worth fixing or just keep adding oil?

Barry
Old 03-14-2004, 10:05 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

You can ask any mechanic or technician who has worked with Hondas for years and they will pretty much tell that most VTEC Preludes are acceptable burning a small amount. It would not be a warrantied issue if you bought a 2 year old Prelude Type-SH in for oil consumption. The factory tech manuals point this out.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:39 AM
maweitao

The Prelude will burn oil whether you hit vtec or not. I don't hit it very often and I lose oil just the same.

I think its just the nature of the system. And it doesnt seem to be unique to Honda either. I have a friend with a Celica GT-S and that car burns oil just as well as mine does. I've heard that the RSX Type-S burns oil as well.

I'd be learn about cars by other manufacturers with a system like vtec to see how they do with oil consumption.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
STZP1

If you like to hang out in VTEC you better watch your oil level. From experience, the more you hit VTEC the more oil you will burn.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:03 AM
gpzone20

most cars do burn a bit of oil... thats a fact... but i think alot depends on the oil that you use... i think ...cuz fo example... redline motoroil burns alot more than any other ones.... i learned from experience...but i dont know...i might be wrong...

what do yall think is the best synthetic oil?

i am using mobil 10 30... what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Do all preludes burn a little oil?