Notices

Tail light Install - Help Me Out?!!!!

Old 12-24-2003, 01:27 AM
roybot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light Install - Help Me Out?!!!!

Dude, someone help me out.

I accidentally cracked some guys Accord tail light with the bumper of my truck. I left him a note and am taking full responsibility but of course I want to repair it for as cheap as possible...i.e. I want to repair it myself! The guy said this is cool with him as long as I do a good job. The cracked tail is on the driver's side of a '98 Honda Accord Sedan (4dr).

Two Questions:

1) Where can I find instructions for how to remove/install a driver side taillight? I have looked all over the web and all I find is sites that sell them. I figured that someone should have a site that details how to do it but maybe I'm just dumb...maybe it's really easy to replace (I don't know because I don't have access to the dude's car and I don't want to show up and look like I don't know what I'm doing). Please help me out by pointing me in the proper direction or describing the process.

2) Anyone know where I can get a genuine HONDA OEM driver side replacement taillight for a 98 Accord Sedan for less than $70 and ASAP???

Thanks so much...I would really appreciate any genuine help here...I am trying to do the right thing! :thumbup:

roybot
Old 12-24-2003, 02:13 AM
EliteAccord
Banned

www.autodynamic.com under OEM Lighting.

Pop off panel inside trunk
Disconnect the wire from car to light cluster
Remove the small 10 mm bolts.
Swap cluster to new lights.
Reverse the process.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 AM
superhids

less than $70 = ebay
Old 12-24-2003, 04:42 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

if you want it cheap you might wanna check some junkyards too...
Old 12-26-2003, 05:47 PM
roybot

Thanks for the tips guys.

So there isn't any gaskets or anything like that when I am removing the light cluster? And I don't have to remove the bumper?

If you guys know of any websites that might have detailed pictures of this process I think that would really help me out? I wish I had an accord that I could just take a look at! My girlfriend has the coupe version but the tails are completely different! Guess it sounds simple enough...but if you have any more help that you could offer it would be appreciated!

roybot
Old 12-26-2003, 06:17 PM
slpycd7
H22 fo lyfe!

Originally posted by roybot
Thanks for the tips guys.

So there isn't any gaskets or anything like that when I am removing the light cluster? And I don't have to remove the bumper?

If you guys know of any websites that might have detailed pictures of this process I think that would really help me out? I wish I had an accord that I could just take a look at! My girlfriend has the coupe version but the tails are completely different! Guess it sounds simple enough...but if you have any more help that you could offer it would be appreciated!

roybot

It is really easy, Hondas are not as complicated as you may think. There is no need for bumper removal, or any blantanly obvious unecessary wastes of time.

Tools you may need:

Screwdriver (flathead, phillips) for prying
Ratchet
Extention
10mm socket (deep socket also good idea)
Haynes manual is your best tool here too.

1. Pop open the trunk
2. unlatch the plastic that covers the lense from the inside.
3. disconnect the wire harness and bulbs from the housing.
4. there should be 4 - 5 10mm nuts in recessed areas. I would suggest using an extension and or a deep socket for this process.
5. the lense should come right out with a little nudge.
6. reverse process for installation.

that'll be 5 dollars towards my paypal for advice :fawk: jp.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:54 PM
roybot

Hey Everyone, thanks for all of the advice. I installed the tail light in this guy's Accord this weekend and it was pretty simple and it looks great!

But check this out...the guy calls me later that night and says that his brake light is not working!!! All the lights in that driver side tail lamp work (the running lights and the signal) but the light doesn't get any brighter when he steps on the brake! What do you think went wrong? All I did was unplug the bulbs (there were two) and then replug them back in...no wires were dislodged and the bulbs were not cracked...anyone got any tips on this...I really need to get this out of my hair if you know what I mean!

Also what is that little black circuit box that plugs into the back of the light unit?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Exasperated in Socal!
roybot
Old 01-12-2004, 10:43 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally posted by roybot
All the lights in that driver side tail lamp work (the running lights and the signal) but the light doesn't get any brighter when he steps on the brake! What do you think went wrong?
wrong bulb in there? i think some are dual filament for brake light applications.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 PM
roybot

but I didn't change any of the bulbs...they are the stock bulbs and wiring that was in there before I switched the light assembly. All I did was unplug them from the old and replug them into the new. Go figure...I hope that this is not going to end up costing me more money when I was just trying to save a little.

Thanks for the tip though...anymore input? anyone? bueller?

roy

Old 01-12-2004, 11:52 PM
roybot

by the I'm stoked on your signature graphic...:thumbup: