Notices

wheel bearing? symptoms?

Old 12-21-2003, 05:59 PM
allbutjdm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing? symptoms?

guys,
im gettin a loud ass wobble noise on the front rite wheel when mostly when driving at high speeds turning to the left. it sounds like a really loud rattling noise. could this be wheels bearings? /hub? how do i check for this?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:11 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Default Re: wheel bearing? symptoms?

Originally posted by allbutjdm
guys,
im gettin a loud ass wobble noise on the front rite wheel when mostly when driving at high speeds turning to the left. it sounds like a really loud rattling noise. could this be wheels bearings? /hub? how do i check for this?
This sounds closer to classic CV joint failure, but it could also be the wheel bearing. You won't know for sure until you tear apart.
Since, we can't fiddle with the wheels in this forum its tough to trouble shoot. Have you looked under the car at the CV boots?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to have to agree with MrChad on this and say it sounds more like a U joint going out than a wheel bearing.

The Ujoint is easy to check just jack your car up in the air and put it in first gear or revers then manually turn the wheel back and forth in the driving direction and if there is unneccesary play then most likely you have a bad U joint....usually if its bad you can hear it click hard against the yokes.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:21 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally posted by Nightshade
I am going to have to agree with MrChad on this and say it sounds more like a U joint going out than a wheel bearing.

The Ujoint is easy to check just jack your car up in the air and put it in first gear or revers then manually turn the wheel back and forth in the driving direction and if there is unneccesary play then most likely you have a bad U joint....usually if its bad you can hear it click hard against the yokes.
U-joint? Are you sure you don't mean the tri-plodes on the CV shaft or intermediate shaft? Honda calls these the inner and outer raceway cups. But I think U-joint is more befitting a true angle rwd drive-shaft. Hope I don't come off like a smart ass for saying so. Just don't want to confuse any newbies.

But I agree with your methods.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MrChad
U-joint? Are you sure you don't mean the tri-plodes on the CV shaft or intermediate shaft? Honda calls these the inner and outer raceway cups. But I think U-joint is more befitting a true angle rwd drive-shaft. Hope I don't come off like a smart ass for saying so. Just don't want to confuse any newbies.

But I agree with your methods.
My bad you are correct I always do that and refer to CVs as U joints...sorry about that and thanks for the correction.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:32 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

wheel bearings give a nasty sounding HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM when you drive. you could be heard a block away with this problem. also, the sound is extremely noticable from inside the cab.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:30 PM
allbutjdm

cv boots look fine. it almost sounds like something is rubbing against each other. i'm gonna try the method he said about putting the car in gear
Old 12-21-2003, 11:06 PM
akord 97

Yeah, a worn hubcentric wheel bearing, makes a humming noise, like a WAH WAH WAH. Above 30 its most noticable. You can run it fast, and it doesnt affect the driving, its just gets noisier. Its like $70 for that piece.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:55 AM
allbutjdm

is it a seperate bearing or a whole hub assembly? hard to change ? anyone provide me with necessary steps in removing this piece? i appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:39 AM
allbutjdm

anyone?