Notices

Strangest Spark Plug Prob. I've Ever Seen

Old 12-19-2003, 06:41 PM
vassil3427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strangest Spark Plug Prob. I've Ever Seen

Ok guys this was so strange I had to post here to see if anyone has ever seen this before. Here's the story, A lady form my church was driving to work yesterday and suddenly her 1992 Accord started running funny, she kept going and didnt think about it much. After work on her way home it got far worse to where the engine was chugging and it finally quit as she rolled in the driveway. She called my dad and he went and looked at it. Somehow the porcelain seperated from the metal in the spark plug, the porcelain part of the plug had shot up out of the engine along with the plug wire...And obviously this caused problems...There was oil and gas blown everywhere in the engine bay...

I repaired her car this afternoon, new valve cover gasket (and other gaskets associated with it), new plugs, plug wires, distributer button and cap..changed the oil too...Seems to run fine now...

But the plug looks too freaky, I'm thinking about emailing NGK asking how the plug could have possibly come apart!??!?!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:38 PM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

weird stuff but :wopics:
Old 12-20-2003, 12:37 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nmmm a yr ago when i got my car back from dealer "maintance stuff" i check the sparks plug and they were all broken and to be honest i have no idea how the car was still running and the worst chit is that the dealer was supposed to check them and install new ones heh.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:56 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

Originally posted by strykernyc
nmmm a yr ago when i got my car back from dealer "maintance stuff" i check the sparks plug and they were all broken and to be honest i have no idea how the car was still running and the worst chit is that the dealer was supposed to check them and install new ones heh.
dsamn that sucks
my dealer was supposed to change my oil+ filter and the car got back to me with oil changed but no filter
i can still see the scrapes from my old filter
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

That's some weird shit...bu I agree that :wopics:
Old 12-20-2003, 06:25 PM
lowelcam96

When the oil leaks into the spark plug well, it actually cooks the ceramic into seperating it from the metal, i guessing her problem was not the plug, but the oil leak into the well...dunno
Old 12-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

If she is getting oil in the part where the spark plug is then it denotes that the rings are shot. Having them go out on one cylinder only does seem odd though.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:56 PM
vassil3427

Yeah there was some oil in that plug well. I do think it was kinda baked in there...I'll try to get pics if I can....
Old 12-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by vassil3427
Yeah there was some oil in that plug well. I do think it was kinda baked in there...I'll try to get pics if I can....
A little il is going to happen on occasion so its probably normal but if there is a lot of oil on it or the oil is really fresh then it may be the sign of blowby on the rings.

A compression leakdown test should be run on the car just to make sure because if the rings go it could be bigger than just a ring replacement.