Notices

Remote Starter for Manual Transmission

Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter for Manual Transmission

Does anyone know of a Alarm System with a remote starter for manual transmissions?

I have been looking everywhere and I am unable to find an alarm that does this.

If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-17-2003, 09:32 AM
AcCoRd97Lx
Jordan ModaratOr

lol, ya kno just put your money into something else. i have a remote start on my alarm and i never use it anymore h: but i have a viper 550 (and an automatic )
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 AM
whoaitslen2
hermit

They were illegal in the start because manual cars left in gear would run away when you remote start them. Im not sure if alarm companies changed their designs to bypass it yet. Some people have remote start rigged up to their cars. Just have to remember not to leave the car in gear and use the ebrake.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:17 AM
mizturyous
Terd Furgeson

It is still illegal for a company to install a remote start on a manual. I have done it to a few and also to some of my own cars but DO NOT recommend it. I had someone rear end my car once and took it to the shop to have it fixed. I specifically noted to them to park it in neutral. The clean up guy didnt get that part. I wne to pick up the car and when I bent over to look at the repair work.............oooops my key pressed the button on the remote and it tried starting. Well in this process it was jumping across the parking lot til it ran through the heavy gauge chain they had around the lot and that crawled up my hood and "A" pillars ripping off the mirrors and shattering the windshield also chewing up the pillars. Ended up with a 3850.00 bill for that repair. It can be done with momentary switches and a custom built gear shift plate though, so that when it is in gear it presses that particular switch and wont let the remote start engage. That takes some work and money to do though. Just some suggestions from me and experience.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Accord1278

it is illegal and almost no one will sell or install it for you in a manual tranny. if you buy it on your own and install it yourself, than that's a different story. i got it on my auto and it's the best thing, especially during cold wintery mornings.:fawk:
Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

well I know of a shop in town who will install it for me...all I need to know is what kind of model of alarm I am looking for so that I can remote start my engine in cold weather, from my apartment.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Accord1278

Originally posted by mrbrace
well I know of a shop in town who will install it for me...all I need to know is what kind of model of alarm I am looking for so that I can remote start my engine in cold weather, from my apartment.
Something to consider: if something were to go wrong, like if they install it and you left the car in gear and then started it and it caused damage, etc... and your insurance company finds out about it, you won't be a happy camper. they'll probably come after you and especially the person who installed it.

But other than that, I'd go with a product made by DEI, same company that makes the Viper, Python line of alarms, etc. I've had them in all my cars over the years, and they are great.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:55 PM
JailBa8

Compustar alarm or viper. Neven used it with the viper alarm but the compustar works like a charm on a car with manual tranny
Old 12-17-2003, 06:13 PM
mizturyous
Terd Furgeson

Mine was a Viper and it was excellent excepte for when it was left in gear.

Another thing to consider: If it is left in gear and it starts and hits a car your insurance will not cover it. If you hit a person.......lets say in a mall or store parking lot.........BIG problems. But if you are not at all concerned with that liability then do what you feel you need to do. If you want a Viper remote start only go with the DEI-562T. If you want alarm w/ remote start the Viper 850XV is great or go with the new Viper Responder 791XV.........its pretty badass.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:51 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clifford/DEI matrix RSIII thats all u need and a good installer, they go from $300 and down for installation i pay $80 but the dude didnt install the valet parking stuff that idiot