Notices

Time for a new battery? Which one?

Old 12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
rage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new battery? Which one?

Ok I just got my car back from the body shop.

Before it was towed, my battery somehow went dead. Im guessing there was a short somewhere from when it got hit. (which is weird cause it got hit in the back)

The body shop tested my battery and they said it was "marginal". They gave it a charge. Worked fine for 2 days, this morning, the keyless entry "struggled" to open the locks, and my car barely turned over, like the battery is almost dead. After driving it thu the day it starts fine. Im worried that the same thing could happen all over again tomorrow.

I called the body shop and they said that they remembered that it was dead, and did a test on anything drawing from it, but it came up neutral. They said that I probably just need a new battery, and that as far as they could tell there were no shorts or "leaks." I find it to be weird coincidence.

I called the insurance company that I went thu and they said that they would not pay for a new battery or anything associated with it unless there was a way for me to prove that its actually "leaking power" from the accident.

I have no problem paying for a new battery if I need it. Im worried tho, since it will be brand new, if I still have a minor short or leak or whatever, the battery will not go dead from it until weeks or months have gone by, and at which point ill be screwed with the insurance/body shop's liability.

Whats a good battery for my car? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:29 AM
Jack the Ripper
Banned

OEM no need for all that expensive fancy crap. just get a normal bat and be happy.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:48 AM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

optima. zero maintenance plus i'd get one with dual posts (with the GM side posts) so you can use them to wire your amps and stuff.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:39 AM
pirate252

If you are just running 'the car' then an oem bat will be just fine, but if you plan on later adding things like a high wattage system you may want to look into getting a better, more powerful bat. like the one mentioned above...
Old 12-13-2003, 11:32 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

which optima would you guys recommend?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima no doubt...red top works just fine no reason to spend the extra for a yellow top.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:10 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

i got a walmart battery for $35. it's covered for 1 year, no fault and it's cheap enough to replace every 2 years for peace of mind.

i'm running a pretty decent sized system off of it and the battery is fine. also, the fridgid conditions outhere really tend to kill and stress batteries too

if you have the loot for an optima, go for it ... if you're strapped for cash, go the cheap route.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Eklypse39
i got a walmart battery for $35. it's covered for 1 year, no fault and it's cheap enough to replace every 2 years for peace of mind.

i'm running a pretty decent sized system off of it and the battery is fine. also, the fridgid conditions outhere really tend to kill and stress batteries too

if you have the loot for an optima, go for it ... if you're strapped for cash, go the cheap route.
Yeah it is an investment at first at an average of $120 a pop...but not having to ever worry about your battery again and never having to replace it saves you that money in the long run
Old 12-13-2003, 08:02 PM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

So either the red or the yellow is cool
Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 PM
MeiSoSlow
WEEEEE!!!!!

Go with red... great if u got a system in your car,