Notices

ABS light on

Old 12-07-2003, 12:25 PM
thekrohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on

Have a 96 Accord V6 4dr. One day when restarting the engine a loud whirring noise was heard and then the ABS light on the dash came on. I have since removed the ABS motor fuse to eliminate said whirring noise at odd times but of course the light stays on.
My question to anyone who might have had the same experience is what kind of potential expense can I expect in order to have repairs made? Here in Texas ABS is not considered part of the safety inspection so the car now with only 47k miles passed easily. Have had enough experience in the repair business to know that electronic diagnosis is not always straight forward. One must proceed to a point in order to determine whether more needs to be done. Would just like some sort of ball park figure high and low before I go to the dealer and not be shocked by a figure that will not fit in my December budget.
the krohn
Old 12-07-2003, 12:43 PM
carta79
Life after death

Depends on what's wrong, from a Honda dealer an ABS modulator could run near $1500. A sensor would run around $269. If you let Honda evaluate your vehicle there's an easy $75 there.

I wonder if anyone has tried to jump an ABS connector to find the fault code.
Electronic diagnosis has worked for me plenty of times in the past.
Give me a paper clip I'll find out what's wrong with your car. :chuckles:

How much ABS fluid do you have in the reservoir?
Old 12-07-2003, 02:06 PM
thekrohn

Carta 79;
Have used the paper clip method on GM cars but would not know where to look for the test connector on a Honda. The reservoir is full and of course paper clip or otherwise the evaluation charge would apply if done by the dealer. I am sufficiently shocked to use what expertise I possess and remove the bulb and forget the rest.
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:09 PM
carta79
Life after death

Originally posted by thekrohn
Carta 79;
Have used the paper clip method on GM cars but would not know where to look for the test connector on a Honda.
Someone quote me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a blue connector under the passenger side glove box.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Big Chaze
Mr Clutch

Originally posted by carta79
Someone quote me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a blue connector under the passenger side glove box.
Yes
Old 12-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Big Chaze
Mr Clutch

Your abs reservoir is low.
Fill it,.. and after a few a starts,.. you should hear the noise as it beigns to pressurize.
I ran mine without any abs fluid, and now it wont pressurize.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM
thekrohn

Default ABS light on

Thanks all for your contributions and suggestions. Will certainly check the reservoir again and look for the test connector and perhaps flush out a code.
thekrohn
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 PM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

yah a similar thing happened to me, i filled my fluid, drove for a few days, and bink one time i start my car up and no abs light
Old 12-08-2003, 07:35 AM
thekrohn

The reservoir seems to have been the problem. The first time I checked I only removed the protective rubber cap and when I saw a drop of fluid on top of the inner plastic filler cap I assumed it was full. Wrong! Today upon removing said plastic cap I discovered that the reservoir was empty. Fortunately several weeks ago when the light first came on I removed the ABS motor fuse so as not to listen the whirring sound while pondering what to do. This morning after pouring several ounces of fluid into the reservoir, replacing the fuse, and restarting the engine there was a one second whirring sound and the light went out immediately.
The information received from this message board has saved me much inconvenience and expense for which I shall remain eternally grateful.
the krohn
Old 12-08-2003, 09:17 AM
carta79
Life after death

Originally posted by thekrohn
The reservoir seems to have been the problem. The first time I checked I only removed the protective rubber cap and when I saw a drop of fluid on top of the inner plastic filler cap I assumed it was full. Wrong! Today upon removing said plastic cap I discovered that the reservoir was empty. Fortunately several weeks ago when the light first came on I removed the ABS motor fuse so as not to listen the whirring sound while pondering what to do. This morning after pouring several ounces of fluid into the reservoir, replacing the fuse, and restarting the engine there was a one second whirring sound and the light went out immediately.
The information received from this message board has saved me much inconvenience and expense for which I shall remain eternally grateful.
the krohn
That's why I asked how much fluid you had in my first post.

Originally posted by carta79
How much ABS fluid do you have in the reservoir?
I'm glad you got it fixed and it was something minor. The ABS system has some pretty expensive parts.

No ABS light =