Notices

Brake warning light

Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 AM
detroitpoop
Occasional visitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake warning light

I searched and nobody has discussed this exact symptom. Here goes:

My e-brake light has started coming on as I accelerate smartly from a stop. My friend suggested that the brakes aren't quite letting go as I take my foot off the brake to push the gas, but I notice that

a) the light only appears if I accelerate quickly
b) it stays lit until I let-off/relax the throttle, then it disappears shortly thereafter.

One suggestion from another thread was that the brake fluid might be low, so I checked, and found that the fluid level is fine. Has anybody experienced this problem? Is it possible that the brake warning light is connected to the throttle somehow?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 PM
kid018
In the depths of my mind

I had this recently happen to my Accord too. I took it into a honda dealership and told htem what was up. They thought it might be sensor just loose but they would have a look at it. Turns out, i was low on my brake pads and that the brake fluid was low. The low fluid caused the light to come on and off. They changed pads and filled up the brake fluid, now the problem is gone. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:36 PM
detroitpoop
Occasional visitor

Do you happen to know where the sensor is? On just one wheel or all four?

I am nearing the end of my brake life...and I have replacements in hand, so maybe I should change them before it snows and see if that makes the difference. Thanks for your story.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sensor is in the brake fluid reservoir. It's a float with a little magnetic reed-switch. You've checked your fluid already, so try unplugging the wires at the reservoir cap. If it quits doing it, then your float switch is flaky.

The 'sensors' for worn-out brake pads are just little metal tabs on the brake pads. They scrape on the rotor making a screetching noise.

BTW, when you push the caliper pistons in to make room for your new pads, don't let the reservoir overflow.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:14 PM
detroitpoop
Occasional visitor

The 'sensors' for worn-out brake pads are just little metal tabs on the brake pads. They scrape on the rotor making a screetching noise.
Yes, that's why I haven't changed them even though I know they're almost due...waiting to hear some squealing.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:17 PM
vassil3427

Just go ahead and change them, why wait? Brake pads are cheap..thats my opinion....BTW how much life is left on your rotors? Maybe the rotors are so thin, and the pads are so shot, that the piston on the caliper is having to push out really far and isnt able to retract correctly....Just an idea...
Old 12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

could be a loose connector on the brake lights as well... when a bulb goes the e-brake light comes on too
Old 12-04-2003, 08:09 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by /^Blackmagik^\
could be a loose connector on the brake lights as well... when a bulb goes the e-brake light comes on too
What year? On our '98 the burned-out-bulb warning is a separate lamp - it doesn't use the handbrake lamp.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:15 AM
detroitpoop
Occasional visitor

Originally posted by JimBlake
What year? On our '98 the burned-out-bulb warning is a separate lamp - it doesn't use the handbrake lamp.
Mine is a 98 also. The timing of the problem doesn't seem to indicate a bulb out. If that were the case I would expect the warning light to come on when I'm holding the brake down, not during acceleration.

When I get time I'm going to change the pads and double check the master cylinder switch.