Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   S2000 (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s2000-14/)
-   -   Buying a s2000 (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s2000/461008-buying-a-s2000.html)

chithanh119 04-22-2009 04:26 AM

Buying a s2000

Hey folks, I am looking into buying a '05 or later s2000. I have done a lot of research on the car and I am completely in love with it. I just wanted some advice from you current s2000 owners as to what I should be looking for since I am buying a used one. I have some questions here at the bottom which I could use some answers to and anything else you want to add/advise on please do so! Thanks so much in advance!!

1.) What factors should be paying attention to when I test drive the s2000 at the dealership?

2.) I have read in previous posts that the s2k comes with a tonneau cover for when you put the top down...I have also heard that dealers try to charge for that when it really should just come with the car.....Is this true?

3.) I have a descent budget to work with ($22K) so what type of mileage should i expect the s2000 to come with my budget?

Thanks again!

reech-around 04-22-2009 08:49 AM

If you're looking at '05+ models, you should consider the '04 as well (they are identical). To answer your questions:

1) Test drive/examination:

- When the engine is idling, listen for any loud tapping. The timing chain tensioner goes bad on a lot of S2000s. Luckily it's a cheap and easy fix (~$125 for the part).

- The transmission should shift smoothly, except for very slight notchiness when it's cold. If the 1-2 shift is difficult, look for another car.

- Check the soft top for any signs of wear or holes, ESPECIALLY in the area above the passenger's head, near the window. One of the support beams tends to rub this part of the top, eventually causing a tear. I had to get the entire top replaced under warranty.

- On the passenger side, the seam where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel (near the taillight) tends to misaligned from the factory. This doesn't indicate an accident or bodywork.

- Speaking of bodywork, do the usual inspection to make sure the car hasn't been in accident. I'd also check the top of the front fenders for dings, since those are hard to remove.

2) The tonneau cover is included with the car. Doesn't cost extra. With that said, it's pretty difficult to use and it takes up your trunk space when it's not on the car. You can find used ones for under $50 easily.

3) Just to give you an idea, I sold my '05 with 30K miles for less than $20K. For $22K, you can probably get an '06 or even an '07 with under 40K miles. With an '06+, you'll also get traction control, drive by wire throttle, a thermometer, solid headrests, different wheels, and some small interior updates.

The S2000 is an amazingly reliable car, considering how it's meant to be driven. A lot of people bought them as weekend toys, so you should be able to find a clean, low mileage example. Maintenance wise, they're extremely simple cars. The 15K and 30K mile services literally consist of: oil change, air filter, in-cabin filter, transmission fluid, and differential fluid. That's it. The car doesn't need a valve adjustment until 100K miles (you can do it sooner if the valves are noisy).

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.

AP1dude 04-22-2009 10:17 PM

^^^^x2

but its not a practical car at all...a lot of road noise and bumpy ride at times. drive it and get a feel for the braking, steering, suspension, road noise etc...its a great car and fun to drive. but don't buy it thinking you can mod it easily or cheaply for that matter. its a difficult (expensive) car to get power out of unless you go FI.

the shifting is smooth, ignore the notchiness as mentioned and the occasioanly clunk. it has a drop down tranny so its expected.

oh...and AP1 FTW

XScarAudio 06-04-2009 08:36 AM

AP2 ftw. I have an 05 and love it, 06+ has another important feature I wish i had - airbag disable for when i need to put one of my sons in the car. Mine is a dd also.

For TONS of info, I also suggest signing up at S2ki.com

19.3secS2K 09-15-2009 12:46 PM

one thing to note, the ap2 has the clutch delay valve. some people aren't fans of them....

reech-around 09-15-2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 19.3secS2K (Post 4409750)
one thing to note, the ap2 has the clutch delay valve. some people aren't fans of them....

you should also note that it's pretty easy to remove, if it bothers someone enough.

XScarAudio 09-15-2009 01:12 PM

the CDV doesn't bother me. I realize it's there from time to time, but whatever. I'll keep it in there and gladly use my warranty if needed.

19.3secS2K 09-15-2009 10:32 PM

ap1 also has a better steering ratio :fawk:

reech-around 09-15-2009 10:44 PM

AP1, ugh.