Notices

Tall Guy Racer Wants an S2K

Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall Guy Racer Wants an S2K

Hi All:

I'm hugely interested in an S2000 but have a couple of issues that might keep it from being a new-car candidate for me:

1. I'm 6'5" and the car is really too small for me to be comfortable. I wonder if anyone has any experience with seat swaps to a Sparco or Cobra or other racing seat to create additional interior room. I'd hate to buy the car and the seats and find out it won't work...

2. This car would replace a vintage racecar and pickup truck daily driver/tow vehicle. I'd like to do open track weekends in the S2K but would want to put in a strong rollbar. Can anyone offer advice on how much cutting, hacking and welding would be required to replace the stock (non-structural?) hoops with a rollbar?

Many thanks,
Matt M
Burbank, CA
Old 09-08-2005, 11:07 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

Probably the best roll bar out there is the Elda Engineering unit. You can see pics and reviews here - http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147070

I'm sure there's plenty of people your height that have found ways to get some extra room in the car. Your best bet will be to ask over at www.s2ki.com since it's an s2000 specific msgboard.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:24 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the hoops were structural I have the S2000 book and remember reading that it is nearly impossible for them to be crushed during a rollover.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

the height thing is easy... only drive on suny and warm days with the top down...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by sherwood
the height thing is easy... only drive on suny and warm days with the top down...
You can't exactly pick the weather for a track day/hpde that you sign up for weeks to months in advance.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:15 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

I absolutely love the S2K. But everything I've read about people trading or selling them suggests that they just couldn't deal with the car as a daily driver. Which I honestly don't see because when I test drove one I loved it, but it is something that you should think about especially being that tall.
On the bright side you should be able to see out of it pretty well. Backing up wasn't much fun for me because I'm only 5,10 but it might be different for you. Just my $.02
Old 09-09-2005, 07:53 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
You can't exactly pick the weather for a track day/hpde that you sign up for weeks to months in advance.
yea.. but dont they usually postpone for inclimate conditions (rain, snow?)...

BTW i love the s2k and would buy one in a heartbeat.. goodlck figuring this ish out and welcome to HAN
Old 09-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by sherwood
yea.. but dont they usually postpone for inclimate conditions (rain, snow?)...

BTW i love the s2k and would buy one in a heartbeat.. goodlck figuring this ish out and welcome to HAN
Not sure about show, but rain won't delay it, unless it's a named storm.

Actually, HPDE's in the rain are some of the most rewarding, especially for "track noobs".
Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR
Actually, HPDE's in the rain are some of the most rewarding, especially for "track noobs".
Most definitely. My first track event was in the rain and the slick track exaggerated the movement of the car and really let you feel what it was doing.