Notices

S2000 91oct A MUST?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 91oct A MUST?

A little while ago i was posting on here, like i rarely do anymore, and was told that i was stupid and didnt know what i was talking about. at the bottom of this thread. I was on s2ki today and found some interesting information on that particular subject. go to the middle on the thread. Here are some post on that subject in case some of you dont feel like reading the thread.

I've been running my car on reg 87 octane for over 100,000 miles. Don't buy into that have to run premium gas story.

Guys, your OK to run a tank of 87, 89 octaine if needed. Running lower octain fuel will not damage or hurt your engine. These engines have knock sensors that will detect detonation or knock/pinging and will instantly retard timing to compensate. The end result is a slight reduction on power, and increased fuel consumption. Dont get too anal if you accidently put 87/89 octaine it wont hurt anything. Ex. 1a-race's Comment

Good article Tugz. That's the plain truth whether people want to believe it or not. Running regular gas (87) is not harmful at 11:1 NA compression. Now drop 1 bar of boost on that and you could have issues (1 bar is one atmosphere of pressure, about 12 psi depending on where you live). On a stock S2000 running regular 87 octane probably wouldn't show on a dyno and appear as normal variation. The ECU will map back the timing if it detects knock (that's IF not when). So long as the ECU can ratchet back the timing enough to compensate (and it can) there is no problems with it. It's not cleaner, more environmentally friendly, fuel efficient or anything of the sort; it's gas.

No i dont want a cookie or an apology. I just want some of the members on this board to quit jumping to conclusions on information that YOU dont have any idea about.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

A good chunk of those people on S2Ki don't even know how to turn a wrench h:

Also in that thread....

"Your Honda is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 91 or higher. Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance."
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...post&p=6378428

Re-read the ENTIRE thread buddy... A majority of the members go with atleast 91... so your idiocy still stands
Old 10-16-2006, 09:23 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Oh I read the whole post from start to finnish... i think you are the one who didnt, But there are always people that will post just like you who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about. My orignal point was that it could be done with out damage to the engine which you all said wasnt the case and it would immedatly cause significant damage. But i wouldnt expect suposed know it alls, who have never turned anything other than internet wrenches (and probably dont own an s2k or anything other than a stock civic) like you and most of everyone else on this board to know what they are talking about. You are the idiot. so dont worry about them deleting this post like they did the last one becuase this is the last time i will be back on this board talking to idiots like you who have never worked on anything other than running their mouth.

Last edited by h22accord; 10-16-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're an idiot dude.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
dubcac
I

Sure it's possible, but why would you want to? Would you want to risk detonation/engine damage? Would you want your ECU to pull a shitload of timing?

87 octane on 11:1 compression IS NOT fine. Try running 87 on a car that has no knock sensor and 11:1...it'll detonate like a motherfucker.

Anyone who buys an s2k and runs 87 should be tarred and featherd, and have a tattoo of DUMBASS put on their forhead.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by h22accord
These engines have knock sensors that will detect detonation or knock/pinging and will instantly retard timing to compensate. The end result is a slight reduction on power, and increased fuel consumption.
So... What's the point? I agree that if you accidently filled up with 87 octane, that it's not the end of the world. Just revert back to the proper gasoline as soon as possible. But why would you intentionaly do this? The end cost of gas per tank is probably a whole $2.50 - $4.00 more depending on local prices. Add the increased consumption to the cost of the 87 octane and the difference minimal.

I bet the chances of a lead foot & resulting "ping" are alot more likley than driving like granny. After all, why would anybody buy an S2000 if they were concerned about spending a bit more on gas? If you want something econimical, buy a hybrid. If you want a sports car, learn to accept the costs that come with it. I hope you aren't trying to skimp on maintnence like this!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
kd5dbl

Originally Posted by h22accord
These engines have knock sensors that will detect detonation or knock/pinging and will instantly retard timing to compensate.
OK... first of all... there is no such thing as "instant" when it comes to moving parts in an engine... a knock sensor can only detect knock AFTER it has occured. At that point, the dammage has been done. It might minimize it somewhat, but not stop it entirely.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Buyimports2

I think him running regular all the time is a terrible idea, but his facts are right. If you accidentally fill up with regular, there isn't anything to worry about.

Last edited by Buyimports2; 10-18-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
chu

You just spend 30g on the car, and then be cheap with a few dollars on fuel. There is definitely a profound effect on motors that use lower octane.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Buyimports2

Last edited by Buyimports2; 10-18-2006 at 07:30 AM.