Notices

Clutch install questions

Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
ShastSmae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch install questions

i decided to reaplace the clutch in the next month or so... can i just buy the clutch and pressure plate and bearings? cuz the kits are like 1800 bucks! and should i get a clutch for a 2004 or 2005 to avoid the noise?(tsb0054) also does anyone know if i can get a performance clutch for lesss than 400? and how hard and time consuming is the replacement of the clutch. ive replaced a few clutches before but i want to know what im up against. THANKS!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
LateApex
Track Day Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a Star Spec carbon kevlar clutch with stock flywheel and Mugen PP for a ton of track days and it's been just great to me. I think that they are in the $4-500 range.

You have to tilt the motor to swap the clutch. So, it means pulling a bunch of connectors from the tranny and motor, pulling the intake system from the front area, pulling the alternator, unbolting the ac compressor, unbolting the steering knuckle above the steering torque sensor, pulling the propellor shaft, loosen the front and middle subframe bolts and turn out the rear subframe bolts until the subframe tilts backwards.

You'll need a 3" socket extension. You'll use it from the front of the engine box to reach the 14 mm bolt above the starter that goes back through to the housing and to reach the 17 mm bolts at the top of the housing from underneath the car.

You'll also need a 24 spline centering tool to re-install the clutch. The OEM throw out bearing is very well made. I use it. I'd get a new OEM and not worry about what some third party supplies. Actually, it may just be OEM too. Use plenty of Honda high temp Urea grease on the throw out bearing.

I'd figur 12 hours if your a better than average "wrencher" and a day and one-half if you are average. Get help to pull and push the tranny unless you have a lift and a tranny jack.