Notices

Are RSX type s's really this fast..?

Old 11-18-2002, 02:03 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a couple of ramps that are limited to 15mph, with a hairpin 180 and I do 25-30 with my Dakota 4WD on Desert Dog tires (not exactly the best for traction), scare the hell out of people behind me when I drift the rear end through the curve. With the TypeS it's an easy 35-40 on that same ramp with the stock tires at 24000+ miles. With flat roads and straight lines the only place to really play is on the cloverleaf ramps around here. Most of the ramps here are CR (constant radius) and some banking which makes it fairly simple to fly around them. Only mod so far is the AEM SRI lets us know quite nicely that it is there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 11-18-2002, 02:23 PM
K i o n
TrackDemon

Originally posted by M.D.
3000GT SL=Non Turbo Heavy Basterd. 220hp 3,800lbs.
nah, only the VR4's weigh that much, the SL's still around 3200lbs
Old 11-19-2002, 12:19 AM
M.D.

The 3000GT SL is just about the same weight as the VR-4, same body, same 4wd drivetrain, same engine, but no turbo..... at least 3600-3700lbs+.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:00 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

SL = FWD
VR-4 = AWD
Old 11-19-2002, 08:17 PM
K i o n
TrackDemon

Originally posted by M.D.
The 3000GT SL is just about the same weight as the VR-4, same body, same 4wd drivetrain, same engine, but no turbo..... at least 3600-3700lbs+.
same body, same motor minus the turbo but that's it, as justin pointed out its FWD. the SL weight varied by year, but they were always between 3200-3390lbs, last one was like 3260, first was about 3350
Old 11-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Nein
Racing Spirit

Originally posted by OLDMAN
We've got a couple of ramps that are limited to 15mph, with a hairpin 180 and I do 25-30 with my Dakota 4WD on Desert Dog tires (not exactly the best for traction), scare the hell out of people behind me when I drift the rear end through the curve. With the TypeS it's an easy 35-40 on that same ramp with the stock tires at 24000+ miles. With flat roads and straight lines the only place to really play is on the cloverleaf ramps around here. Most of the ramps here are CR (constant radius) and some banking which makes it fairly simple to fly around them. Only mod so far is the AEM SRI lets us know quite nicely that it is there.

what kind of speed still depends on each curve though, speed limit is just a reference. for example, I could do max 30 at a speed limit 10 mph at certain tight hair pin, while at the other place a highway exit ramp the speed limit 25 and I can only do 38 max (75 in- 42 at first 1/3 of the curve - 38 middle -), it is due to the change of angle in the middle of the curve.

good to know ppl play this as well , btw you guys going to watkin glen next year ?
Old 11-21-2002, 07:59 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Originally posted by Nein
what kind of speed still depends on each curve though, speed limit is just a reference. for example, I could do max 30 at a speed limit 10 mph at certain tight hair pin, while at the other place a highway exit ramp the speed limit 25 and I can only do 38 max (75 in- 42 at first 1/3 of the curve - 38 middle -), it is due to the change of angle in the middle of the curve.

good to know ppl play this as well , btw you guys going to watkin glen next year ?
Hey, I see by your mods in your sig that you have the hondata ECU flash. How do you like it and are there any precautions you need to take when taking the car to the dealer, other service facility?

Yeah the ramps are a good launch facility to the E-way. Also a decent playground when there isn't much traffic. I know what you mean about the change in angle/curve half way through, it can throw you for a loop if you're not paying attention.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Old 11-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Nein
Racing Spirit

Originally posted by OLDMAN
Hey, I see by your mods in your sig that you have the hondata ECU flash. How do you like it and are there any precautions you need to take when taking the car to the dealer, other service facility?

Yeah the ramps are a good launch facility to the E-way. Also a decent playground when there isn't much traffic. I know what you mean about the change in angle/curve half way through, it can throw you for a loop if you're not paying attention.
I like it very much, in fact imo it is something I'd recommend every type S owner to get. Good torque all the way, good hp gain from 5200 rpm. It dynoed a 190 peak whp.
I suspect that right now at this kind of temp, it is even faster, could feel it when I walked another typeS and a 225hp TT.

btw, this has nothing to do with this topic but I was wondering if the turning radius could affect perfromance in autox ?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:15 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Thanks for the input on the ECU, I think I will give serious consideration. Don't think the turning radius would affect the handling enough to make a big difference in autoX, seeing as you are judged on speed through the cones without hitting them, except where it is a sharp turn at a slower speed, but your apex is the determining factor there.