Notices

So i've been reading...and I've got some questions

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
si_ace22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i've been reading...and I've got some questions

New to the site as of a few days ago and I've been reading up on a lot of the prior posts so I don't ask questions that have been asked a billion times. BUT....one thing has stricken me pretty badly.
I'm an 05 SI driver...currently unmodded (got a CAI and Cat-back on the way tho). So...(from what I've read) I'm sitting with a k20a3 engine....and apparently this engine is complete crap (again from what I've been reading).

SOOO...my question is other than i/h/e and a kpro (which i also have questions about)...what all can I do to make this dreadful engine better? or should I hold off on modding it and save up for a complete swap?

I haven't seen anything really wrong with the engine as far as I can tell...but I've never driven an RSX-S either....

Anyways....I love the car...really good look, extremely unique, and tons of things to do with it. Just looking for a little advice to get the best bang out of this car I guess.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

in the beginning the engine was considered to be "crappy" especially compared to the K20A2 from the RSX-S.

but there are many people that have put down respectable power with the K20A3, and its really not as bad as many people make it out to be (mainly people who don't bother to learn more about the engine). it has a decent amount of torque for a civic which is a trade off since it doesnt have that much top end power.

I/H/E/KPro would put down great power. brian crower and skunk2 also make camshafts which when combined with a PRC intake manifold and you're getting extremely good power out of your "dreadful" engine. of course thats only if you plan on going all motor.

boosting would be a different story, as many EP3 owners have put down as much as 300whp with a turbo kit (rehard and cybernation).

best bang for the buck? kpro definitely.

dont be deterred by the ignorant remarks about the K20A3, there is hope.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
si_ace22

whew...that makes me feel much better :P
as of right now im thinking im gonna go all motor, i really dont have the patience or the money for everythign that a turbo requires....plus this is my first project / daily driver, so im gonna see what i can without forced induction.

ive got an AEM V2 on the way and im still trying to decide between an OBX cat-back (for about $300) a magnaflow (430ish) or the GREDDY EVO2 (over 500). for later i plan on doing a DC ceramic header (not racing header...need the cat) the hondata gasket, high flow cat, and k-pro....then thats about it for bolt ons. then ill start worrying about breaking into the engine for cams and the like...but thats a long time and a few grand away :P
plus, i still gotta drop some money on a better audio system (thats what i LOVE....and am much better with than the engine stuff) and some exterior stuff like a full kit / hood and lowering.
god...i could keep talking about what i want to do with this car but thats enough for now...got some research to do
Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

those are good plans for the car, i would suggest when getting kpro after getting your bolt ons is to have enough money for tuning as well.

cant really recommend an exhaust since they are pretty much all the same but from what you posted, it seems like you like the loud, deep toned exhausts which is ok as long as you dont mind getting harassed by the police. :chuckles:
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
si_ace22

really quick on the k-pro...ive done some reading and pretty much all i can find is that it is a must have for ANY honda lol. when i look at the pricing guide on hondata.com for the ep3 it says $995...now is that all im looking at spending if im going from a stock ECU to the k-pro? or do i need anything before that? and what am i looking at spending for a tune do you think?
sorry for the noob questions but.....i AM a noob to this lol
oh! and thanks for all the help :P
Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

$995 is just to put krpo on your stock ecu. ideally you want the basics, i/h/e before getting krpo just so when they put krpo on your ecu they can tune it to your mods and get the most power from your engine.

tuning ranges in price depending on the place, ive seen from $150-$250. best thing to do is to call around in your area.

and no problem about the noob questions, just happy to help.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 AM
si_ace22

kk thanks for the info.
dont worry im sure there will be more questions soon enough lol
Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 AM
si_ace22

so i went to the engine swap forum and couldnt find any answers there so ill ask here too...

basically, im looking for a good swap that will help me get more bang for my buck. that way instead of starting out at 160whp i could maybe start higher for higher end results. so....other than a k20a (which is ungodly expensive) what would a good swap be for an ep3 that would get me up from the 160hp into something a little more tuner ready??
thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 AM
thetunersource

go turbo... greddy kit, cheap, easy to install, great power. best bang for the buck if you ask me. I did it and never looked back
Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
si_ace22

how much boost is safe on the stock motor? or should i build the internals up first before the greddy kit?