Notices

02 RSX Type S Exhaust Problem

Old 06-07-2007, 05:26 AM
SDSOX07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 RSX Type S Exhaust Problem

Hey everyone. I came across this site a few a hours ago and thought you guys may be able to help me out. I have an 02 RSX Type S with about 67,000 miles on it. It had been running great until Monday, when a grinding/clanking noise started up. Took it to a local dealership here in San Diego...apparently I need to completely replace the entire exhaust system! The service rep. is saying the following needs to be repaired/replaced:

exhaust manifold
O2 sensors
muffler
heat shields
gaskets
hardware

and that all the connecting bolts are so rusted and corroded that they will all need to be broken off in order to do the repairs.

The quote for repairs, with parts and labor, is just under $2,000.

Supposedly, had everything not been so "corroded" then the only repair needed would be replacing the exhaust heat shields...

Now, my first question is this: How would replacing them end the sound I was hearing? I mean, the sound that was being made sounded like something emanating from a moving part. It also caused a minor vibration. How could these heat shields make the noise? Maybe you guys could tell me.

It seems a bit extreme that because of rusted bolts I have to move from replacing 1 set of things to a half dozen.

The quote on the repair also jumped 50% over the course of one day.

What's so bizarre about this is that this car, although bought in Massachusetts, hasn't seen winter since its previous owner. And since this corrosion is likely from the road salt and chemicals, then this problem has likely been building since then.

I know the service manager of an Acura dealership in Dallas (I wish my car was closer to them) and he is somewhat shocked that this much damage could have occurred. I'm trying to see if he could call up this San Diego dealership. I don't trust Californians.

As I said before the car is an 02 with 67k on it. It is out of warranty, but considering the freak nature of this problem, I'm going to try to get Acura Services to pay for some of the repair. What do you guys think? Have you ever heard of an 02 RSX Type S needing a completely new exhaust system?

Now, I myself know little about cars
Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 AM
speedfreak1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That sucks

Sounds like the repair shop is trying to hose you down. Nothing in the exhaust system would cause grinding noising from failure unless it interacted with some other moving part under the car. The clanking if that was the only noise would more than likely be the heat shields coming loose...maybe. Only places I think of both grinding/clanking coming from is transmission or driveline from the engine to wheels. And even then, it would probably be very bad and increase alot. Along with vibrations....I would look more to the wheels/alignment/cv joints. Something could have come loose and be bouncing around inside the cv boot. I have an '05 RSX-S and my exhaust was only $400 for replacement after I wrecked it, that was only the end-pipe though. Their estimate is way too high even for complete replacement and labor. Best of luck.