Notices

03 RSX 30k miles, dies at stops & restarts ok...

Old 12-23-2006, 09:24 AM
motorthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 RSX 30k miles, dies at stops & restarts ok...

my mother in law's 03 rsx dies sometimes when she comes to a stop. she puts in in park, and it starts up just fine.

the dealer said she needed a new battery (after only 30k miles), so she got a new one, and the problem is still there.

i got some dialectric grease and felt washers for the battery to make sure the connections are good, and am going to run some fuel system cleaner through the gas, but am not sure what else to check.

idle speed?
plugs?
cap/rotor?
o2 sensor?

help me be a hero and figure this one out!

thanks.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

is this the only "symptom" it has? does it only while at a light/stop ? is it a auto or manula tranny?(i know you say she puts it in park which would imply its a atuo but just making sure)
Old 12-23-2006, 08:10 PM
motorthings

it is an auto...and no, no other symptoms.

i realize it is not the easiest thing to diagnose (esp. over the internet), but wanted some possible areas to explore.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

ok describe EXACTLY what it does...you pull up to a stop and starts to idle funny/low and then dies or what?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:53 AM
mekboy101

I dont see how it could be the battery, the only thing the battery really does it power the starter, once the car is started you can even remove the battery and it will still run. the alternator is what powers everything after that. I would check to see if the alt is on its way out maybe? Im not a mechanic, just know a little about the basics.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
motorthings

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
ok describe EXACTLY what it does...you pull up to a stop and starts to idle funny/low and then dies or what?
from my mother in law:
".I pull up to a stop and I don't notice anything until I take my foot of the break and it starts to slide back and I realize the engine died - no idling funny no idling low - I have had both in other cars before - I am surprised when I have to re-start the engine."

don't see how that could help, but who knows....thank for at least giving it some mental energy!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

take it to a mechanic or someone with mechanical experience and have them drive it...sorry thats the best i can do...oh wait i know on the 99-00 civic si there was a recall for a faulty starter switch i believe which could make the car die for no reason but this could happen at anytime dont know if it could be a similar problem just thought id throw that out ther :cheers:
Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 AM
motorthings

i agree...thanks anyway!