Notices

NEW DC5 Intake Designed

Old 12-24-2005, 05:37 AM
dc5s
Designer of HP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW DC5 Intake Designed

I have been designing different intake systems since 2000. First was a cold air system for my old baja race truck. After being pleased with it, i moved to ways of cooling NA induction systems without wasting much space. Using dry ice in a contained metal enclosure, i was able to drop intake temps by 48degrees (testing at a constant 98degrees outside) using a steel enclosure. This helped extensively in a few desert runs in west Texas(at over 102degrees).

However, dragging dry ice into the desert is a very hard thing to do. So i asked around and found that CO2 released into a closed chamber turns into dry ice instantly. Feeling stupid, I revised the system and was about to start testing when my engine blew up (not due to intake, but due to cold starting and running hard in November of last year untuned )

Anyway, i was out of the designing for a few months but have designed a few for the 2002-2004 RSX. This is a picture of one i designed while i have been in Japan. I am just posting this one to see what ya'll think. It is the intake i will be running next month.

Parts:
Top Fuel CF Canister Intake w/ Velocity Stack
AC 5'' Filter
BILLION CF External Induction 'scoop'
JTUNED 75mm pipe from 'scoop'-to-box
JTUNED Aluminum 'box' around filter
JTUNED Elbow from TB-to-CF Canister

This system will be upgraded to a dry ice version soon after the original is built and tested. I am designing it to give the best of both worlds. Cold air from the outside and a short ram design. The first 'chamber'; the Top Fuel CF; will keep cold, filtered air as close to the TB as possible during shifts, as opposed to a conventional cold air intake where the air will start backing out between shifts, the engine has to wait for more cool air, injesting 'static' air which is easiestly explained as (low throttle response).

The second 'chamber' around the filter will be made of aluminum to resist weight. This 'box' will hold cold, unfiltered air just outside the first 'chambers' reach. Keeping the filter inteself cold reduces the effects of temp. turbulance; allowing the flow of air to pass quickly and as unobstructed through the filter as possible.

The main induction pipe will be the guide of cold outside air being forced into the intake at speed. NOT A RAM AIR BY ANY MEANS. Also this will be where the dry ice adaptation will be made. It will decrease the time it takes for the engine to get as much cold air as it possibly can with out boring out the TB or converting to ITBs.

Leave your thoughts and please dont critique my art.

I have no official affiliation with JTUNED Fabrications, i am just stating the name of the business who will be building this system with me. Please do not state these ideas as yours, the photos are copyrighted.

And on another note, that third pic is of me and Yuichi Ikegami removing the hood from TRiAL Japans 8sec Integra. (i am vacationing on business in Japan for this month)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG1735.JPG (63.1 KB, 35 views)
CIMG1736.JPG (51.3 KB, 38 views)
CIMG1393.JPG (76.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 AM
dc5s
Designer of HP

No interest? No updates.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Papiowhisperer
2005 Accord EX-L V6 6MT

I'd like an update. I find what you're doing
extremely interesting and fun besides.

Could you include better images?

That's a major breakthrough on the CO2. What happens
if you combine the dry ice cooled air w/ the intake charge?
If that's possible, can you compress it with the intake charge?

Last edited by Papiowhisperer; 12-28-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
J-S2000

SO DO I, I CANT FIND ANY INTAKES FOR AN 05' TYPE-S, ONLY FOR THE NON- S
Old 12-30-2005, 05:21 PM
crazy

There's quiet a few 05+ Type S intakes. http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv...ory_Code=ICATS

AEM CAI, Injen CAI, AEM SRI, Injen SRI, AEM V2, Fujita F5 SRI, DC Sports CAI, Comptech Icebox and probably the Mugen and ARC airboxes.

Out of those i'd recommend a CAI because most of the others aren't that great. The SRIs suffer from heat soak, the V2 has little to no gains on the 05+ and suffer from heat soak same with the overated Fujita, the icebox is decent but slightly overpriced, and the airboxes are very expensive, but offer good mid-range power. I'd choose the Injen CAI because its the easiest of the CAIs to install.

To the thread starter, nice job doing something new and unique.

Last edited by crazy; 12-30-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:00 AM
dc5s
Designer of HP

Well my intake suffers from little heat soak being a SRI bc its carbon fiber.

As for the CO2, well it can be compressed but becomes more and more dangerous, the higher psi that is applied due to engines running lean when the intake charge is frozen, compressed, and injected. However, if it is programmed for this it will accept it easily and make gobs of reliable power due to cool intake...but slightly increased cylinder wall pressures and detonation temps. Not much to worry about it. Once the engine is tuned with the CO2/DryIce working at optimum efficiency, it will just start to run slightly rich without the extra air to mix with the fuel.

**cold air is more dense**

So its best to just run it with a *nitrous window* so when the dryice melts out...just uncork, drain, and flip a switch to a leaner fuel map and viola!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:02 AM
dc5s
Designer of HP

Updates:
**no side entrance on secondary canister**
*may be designing an 'internal funneling type' air guide*
Old 01-02-2006, 07:11 AM
J-S2000

Originally Posted by crazy
There's quiet a few 05+ Type S intakes. http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv...ory_Code=ICATS

AEM CAI, Injen CAI, AEM SRI, Injen SRI, AEM V2, Fujita F5 SRI, DC Sports CAI, Comptech Icebox and probably the Mugen and ARC airboxes.

Out of those i'd recommend a CAI because most of the others aren't that great. The SRIs suffer from heat soak, the V2 has little to no gains on the 05+ and suffer from heat soak same with the overated Fujita, the icebox is decent but slightly overpriced, and the airboxes are very expensive, but offer good mid-range power. I'd choose the Injen CAI because its the easiest of the CAIs to install.

To the thread starter, nice job doing something new and unique.
OK CRAZY THANKS HOMEY, I WILL LOOK THEM UP A.S.A.P
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
dc5s
Designer of HP

Stop whoreing my thread. Thanks.