Notices

Why are you guys so quick to dismiss the RSX Base model?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 AM
epu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are you guys so quick to dismiss the RSX Base model?

Hey all, I'm EPU, a new member [EPU stand for Everton Production Unit, my production company].

I'm going to start teaching this fall and will make around 40K annually. I'm going to live at home for one more year, so I decided that it's time to buy a new car and want the 2002 RSX Base model (with leather interior).

I'm curious to know why you guys favor the S type so much more and are quick to dismiss the base model. I can't drive a stick, and am not really interested in knowing how to. I love the look of the RSX, The interior is hot as hell, and it handles well on the road (I've actually driven the base model).

I currently have a 1991 Honda Accord SE with 145KMi (got it at 125K) that's about to give up the ghost. I'd rather save up for the RSX than put anymore money into trying to fix it up. Its got an oil leak, transmission leak, a broken tire rod, and problem which it occasionally doesn't want to go over 30MPH after exiting highways on hot days (engine overheats, maybe IAC valve?).

I want to get the 2002 RSX because by the time I can buy it with no payments (figure Jan or Feb 2005, I should have 12-13k of my 40K salary by then), it's be around $10K-$12K. I was thinking of going with Silver or Black.

So, I'd like some advice, comments and why you all hate the base model RSX so much.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:27 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Nobody hates the base RSX. And truth be told you get a relatively nice car for the money. The reason most times the base RSX is "dismissed", is because you have to look at the general population of Honda-Acura.net; which would consist of mostly automotive and import-tuning enthusiasts. And as enthusiasts, the base RSX is just simply well, not enthusiastic enough. Given your situation, I would have to completely agree with you on the base, and feel you at least made a great decision on a reliable yet sporty car. You get the reliabilty of Honda, with the styling and fit-n-finish of the S, all for a few grand less. Look at older Integras, not everyone bought a GSR, in fact most people bought GS/RS/LS. Don't let these dismissals yield you away from the base RSX, its a great car. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 AM
rexerin
beep! beep!

my friend from work has a silver leather int. base model RSX... sounds like you are in a simliar situation as he was when he got his RSX. if you just wanna drive it and you don't want/can't drive a stick, the base is perfectly fine. its got decent HP, and looks pretty much exactly like the type-s except for a few minor interior and exterior things. at first glance it is very hard to tell them apart if you can't see the badging. i have an S, but if i were in your situation i would have got the base. honda_pilot pretty much hit the nail on the head... most people here want a fast car, and they want to make it faster. it really is a great car, type-s or not!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:30 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by rexerin
and looks pretty much exactly like the type-s except for a few minor interior and exterior things. at first glance it is very hard to tell them apart if you can't see the badging.

S - sideskirts painted, larger exhaust tip, suspension

as far as interior, its exactly the same except S has standard leather and I dunno if the Bose sound system is standard in all or just the S.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 AM
rexerin
beep! beep!

yes i know the differences

the bose stereo is type-s standard, it might be an option on the base but i know it doesn't come standard in the base.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:39 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

My wife and I found the base to be a bit slow, that's why we have the TypeS. She's 51 and I'm 54.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

um.. They're girl cars.

SKOOIE!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:25 PM
ED9man
driver

Oh boo hoo I can't drive a stick.
I hate lazy people like you.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:42 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by ED9man
Oh boo hoo I can't drive a stick.
I hate lazy people like you.
dude, calm down bro. Some people choose not to learn and let them be. I personally agree I cannot drive automatic in anything else than a van or SUV but to each their own. Some people live in very urban areas and a stick is stupid.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 AM
96tegse
'06 Mazdaspeed6 GT

As someone that went from an Integra SE (base engine) to a RSX-S, I can say that after I had owned the base Integra for a while, I wanted something sportier.

At the time, the Integra SE was a huge step up from my beat up old Accord, so it didn't seem like a compromise to get an SE model.

The base was a great car. However, if you like spirited driving, the base might seem like it's missing something. On the other hand, with a Type-S you give up some driving ease since it rides rougher and the 6 speed takes some getting used to with the lack of low RPM torque.

Bottom line, the base sounds like it suits you, but if you have a need for performance, you'll regret not going with an S.