Notices

Why are you guys so quick to dismiss the RSX Base model?

Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ED9man
Oh boo hoo I can't drive a stick.
I hate lazy people like you.

I wonder if you would say that to his face if he was 6'3 and 250lbs. :blah:
Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 AM
MaxGeek

The Base RSX doesn't have a soft ride either.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:58 PM
henrypeck

Default Base RSX is a respectable car

The S type is for the nuts who like to race from light to light. It develops the same torque as the base model but needs 2000 RPM more to get there. There's so little torque at idle that you can stall out. The base RSX is perfect for every day driving. I just completed at trip to Maine and averaged 35 MPG at about 75 MPH. I drive a 5 speed stick but the automatic is just a tad slower. Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:37 PM
epu

Yeah, I'm one of those "stupid" city guys who's too pussy to drive a stick. I live in New York City as a matter of fact. Racing light to light will get you stuck in the box and will get you a ticket since there's like 180 cops on every street corner. I live in Queens (closer to Long Island), but I really don't give a shit about sticks and all. I want a nice looking car with a respectable brand name that drives well, looks sporty and is extremely reliable. That WAS the Integra, then the RSX came out.

A lot of my boys to race, so I have nothing against those people, but I just want a nice, up-to-date sports car that doesn't cost an arm or a leg. The RSX is just that, particularly the RSX which I actually do see going for $10-$12K right now in NYC all over the place (since everyone's getting ready for the 2005 models).

On a 40K/yr teacher's salary with me living at home for one more year, I can definitely afford one.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:49 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

the thing is you may be content to just get in and mash the gas now, but down the road a little you may find that there is an enthusiast inside you somewhere. And like a lot of people I know you may find yourself saying if only I had gone with the S....
(or Si or with other makes and models GT or something)
Old 08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
kingbnycflip22

I kno the Type-S does 6.1/6.7 0-60..what's the 0-60 of the base?
I'm going to buy a type-s but i'm going to test drive the Base first since I haven't learned stick. At Clubrsx.com they said it's not THAT much slower...
Old 08-19-2004, 05:27 PM
vanbells

I drive a base auto RSX. Yeah, it's slow. People are quick to dismiss it due to lack of power. Don't get me wrong, I hate it because it's slow, but every car has it's pro's and cons. If you are looking for a sleek looking car than go for a base. But if you want something you want to take to the track and heavily modify, get the Type S.

-Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Originally Posted by vanbells
I drive a base auto RSX. Yeah, it's slow. People are quick to dismiss it due to lack of power. Don't get me wrong, I hate it because it's slow, but every car has it's pro's and cons. If you are looking for a sleek looking car than go for a base. But if you want something you want to take to the track and heavily modify, get the Type S.

-Stephen
Boltons and Hondata #4 can make it a bit faster. But it's another ~2G.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:33 PM
96tegse
'06 Mazdaspeed6 GT

The stick isn't that bad even in traffic. Granted I was cursing a little when I got stuck in a 5 hr traffic jam driving to Portland.

I'd say save a few bucks and don't get the auto - the dealer loaner RSX autos I've driven were kind of boring compared to the S.

If you must shave, eat, and talk on the phone simultaneously while driving the auto's probably a plus.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:30 PM
MaxGeek

The auto is dog slow. The engine just isn't torque'y enough and automatics have too much power loss.

However the RSX base automatic is a decent daily driver. I say decent because the suspension isn't soft and its a coupe. However the hatch offers great utility for lugging stuff around. My sister has a RSX automatic and it feels quick even though its not. The handling is sharp, but it will understeer in stock form if you give it a bit too much gas.

Anyways for your original question, people dismiss the base RSX because its the slow one (stock). Most enthusiast are performance enthusiast and so they only care for the top of the line performance model. Its a like a V6 Mustang.