Notices

'04 RSX Milano Red: clearcoat?

Old 08-29-2004, 09:54 AM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no idea what you guys are babbling on about. all modern cars have clear coats on them. milano red has a special painting process that includes a red tinted clear coat. that is why there was paint on the towel.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:53 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
i have no idea what you guys are babbling on about. all modern cars have clear coats on them. milano red has a special painting process that includes a red tinted clear coat. that is why there was paint on the towel.
No, no they do not.

Many Honda reds do not have clear coats.

Lexus black and yellow is non-clearcoated.

How does one "tint" a clear coat? Clear coat is basically clear paint with more hardners in it. Have you ever tried to add pigmented paint to clearcoat? You get a murky mess.

Cinnabar red is non clearcoated.

Many early Miatas (red) were not clearcoated. Very soft paint, too.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:44 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

a long time ago I painted my stock rims black. I did not clear coat them.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Originally Posted by redgoober4life
No, no they do not.

Many Honda reds do not have clear coats.
A short description of Honda's paint process:

The first process is the Pre-Treatment and Electro coat area, which removes any dust, grease, oil, etc. from the car body and also gives an anti-corrosive coating. Here the car bodies are mounted on a jig and submerged into the various treatment tanks in which they are then rotated. The technique, which was developed by Honda and pioneered in the NSX plant in Japan, was first applied into mass production here at HUM. Not only does it save space, the rotating motion of the car in the tanks also gives an improved anti-corrosion coating.

The next process is the Sealer area, where sealer is applied to the joints of the car body to prevent water ingress.

In total each car receives four coats of paint:
- Electro coat
- Surfacer
- Colour
- Clear coat

Water is used as a pigment carrier rather than solvent in both the surfacer and colour coat paints.

This is the first example of what Honda calls a ''Green Factory'' and with this new line Honda has combined innovative ideas in paint material and plant design to achieve lowest possible solvent emissions; high efficiency paint application; low energy usage; low waste; highest quality and durable paint finish and minimal impact on the immediate local community.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Originally Posted by Nathan1234
A short description of Honda's paint process:

The first process is the Pre-Treatment and Electro coat area, which removes any dust, grease, oil, etc. from the car body and also gives an anti-corrosive coating. Here the car bodies are mounted on a jig and submerged into the various treatment tanks in which they are then rotated. The technique, which was developed by Honda and pioneered in the NSX plant in Japan, was first applied into mass production here at HUM. Not only does it save space, the rotating motion of the car in the tanks also gives an improved anti-corrosion coating.

The next process is the Sealer area, where sealer is applied to the joints of the car body to prevent water ingress.

In total each car receives four coats of paint:
- Electro coat
- Surfacer
- Colour
- Clear coat

Water is used as a pigment carrier rather than solvent in both the surfacer and colour coat paints.

This is the first example of what Honda calls a ''Green Factory'' and with this new line Honda has combined innovative ideas in paint material and plant design to achieve lowest possible solvent emissions; high efficiency paint application; low energy usage; low waste; highest quality and durable paint finish and minimal impact on the immediate local community.
If there is paint transfer then there is not a clearcoat.

I'd have to research "tinting clearcoats," but this seems like blanket information and they're not going to tell you that your car isn't clear coated, because most people that aren't avid body shop or detailers will look at it as a bad thing.

I actually don't mind working with single stage paint, and with proper care, I think it can look a lot better than clearcoated paint.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:21 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

about lexus black and yellow not being clearcoated........i could see the yellow, but black, im not too sure about that. ive detailed many black sc430's, gs430's, ls430's and on and on for the showroom and im pretty damn sure there is clearcoat.