Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Prelude (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/prelude-13/)
-   -   $900 for a clutch install??? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/prelude/177444-900-for-a-clutch-install.html)

Randomher0 02-19-2005 03:52 PM

$900 for a clutch install???

my brother-in-law has a 98 lude SH and is having an aftermarket clutch installed bcuz his went out. now ive had my civic's clutch changed before and it only ran me about $400 out the door. he says its bcuz theres more work to do bcuz of the LSD. does this sound right?

prelood 02-19-2005 04:07 PM

No thats bullshit.

teg92 02-19-2005 06:14 PM

thats wayyy to much

wedley2 02-19-2005 06:29 PM

lsd is in theh transmission, this wouldnt even affect it right?

oscarhmoyano 02-20-2005 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Randomher0
my brother-in-law has a 98 lude SH and is having an aftermarket clutch installed bcuz his went out. now ive had my civic's clutch changed before and it only ran me about $400 out the door. he says its bcuz theres more work to do bcuz of the LSD. does this sound right?

wow, 500 is the "normal" but still kinda expensive .. damm i hate mechanics .. you say car:Prelude ,, abd they go + 40% in any service just 'cause is a lude ...... now $900 :mad: ?
Oscar

fastball 02-20-2005 05:47 AM

ATTS is not LSD...... it's a little more complicated. There are a bunch of hydraulic lines and electronic sensors which run through the transmision. It takes extra time over a standard Prelude to work on one of these. Working on an ATTS manual trans. is akin to working on an automatic trans.

Any time someone with a Prelude SH asks me what to do about changing the clutch, I just tell them to wait untill it's completely shot.... that way they have time to save the extra money :)

5hift 02-20-2005 10:47 AM

That is about right for an SH Prelude. ^^^ totally agree with what was said

Randomher0 02-20-2005 01:00 PM

ok good. thanks for the info guys. i was just about to go down to the shop after i read those first couple replies =P

prelude97 03-01-2005 09:08 AM

Yeah i don't know what's up with these mechanics. I have a 97 non sh and the dealer (chicago) wants $1000, and Brandy's wanted $1500. I told them they were higher than the dealer and said "oh what car was it for again, i'll have to lookup some prices and call you back."

How difficult is that to do myself? I've done 3 timing belts, exhausts, front shocks, engine mounts, and various other repairs. I also have a complement of air tools. I just don't like being under the car for extended amount of time, and the weight of the trans worries me a little.

Kai 03-01-2005 01:32 PM

$900 is about an average price in my opinion. I've heard if much simpler clutch jobs being done for $900.

Originally Posted by fastball
Working on an ATTS manual trans. is akin to working on an automatic trans.

ATTS is a son'fa'bitch. In my experience, autos are the easiest to separate (thanks to the flex plate and no input shaft on the trans,) then manuals, then ATTS manuals. ATTS is like a mini automatic attached to the manual, it's a big aluminum brick.