Notices

Does your dSLR let you adjust ISO this way?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your dSLR let you adjust ISO this way?

During my brief period of ownership of a Pentax K20D there was a feature which I really liked: there's a custom setting to define the function of the two control dials. For example in program mode the front dial does program shift and rear does ISO; front for aperture and rear for ISO in aperture priority, front for shutter and rear for ISO in shutter priority, etc. I like this because it's really easy to adjust the ISO on the fly with your eye up to the finder, no separate ISO button or diving into a menu needed.

I'm trying to figure out what other cameras this can be done on. The same control scheme carries over on the Pentax K-7. It takes having 2 control dials, which eliminates most companies entry- and mid-level cameras. I'm thinking this might be a Pentax-specific feature because from what I can tell all the other brands' cameras with 2 control dials also have a dedicated ISO button. Do any of you guys have one of these cameras and can shed some light on this? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
dj02
click click

i believe this is only on the pentax. every camera i have used or owned has had dedicated ISO button.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
bmallen11
iLURK

I think my D90 does it but i don't have it here to confirm this
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM
dj02
click click

Originally Posted by bmallen11
I think my D90 does it but i don't have it here to confirm this
if i remember correctly, the d90 has a auto iso setting. which changes the iso as you change your speed. what fatbooty is talking about is changing the iso on the fly through the view finder, to what ever he wants if i read it correctly.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Yeah exactly. You have the option to set either dial to adjust ISO. Scroll down to #22 on this page: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page12.asp

Seems pretty intuitive to me, but yeah maybe is Pentax exclusive. That being said, for cameras with a dedicated ISO button the second control dial seems less necessary to me.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

On the d40 there is a function button that you can assign different things to. I currently have mine set to change white balance, but I can select ISO also.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
dj02
click click

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Yeah exactly. You have the option to set either dial to adjust ISO. Scroll down to #22 on this page: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page12.asp

Seems pretty intuitive to me, but yeah maybe is Pentax exclusive. That being said, for cameras with a dedicated ISO button the second control dial seems less necessary to me.
yup im about 95% sure this is a pentax exclusive function.

speaking of which and this is kind of lame...but i like the color options on the k2000

Originally Posted by Draconius
On the d40 there is a function button that you can assign different things to. I currently have mine set to change white balance, but I can select ISO also.
sorry bri its the same as the d90
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by dj02
yup im about 95% sure this is a pentax exclusive function.

speaking of which and this is kind of lame...but i like the color options on the k2000
I think it's the K-x with the color options. The K-x actually doesn't have 2 control dials so you have to do a few button presses to change ISO like any other camera brand. That aside though I really like the K-x except for one dealbreaker. It has the same sensor as the D90 & D5000, plus built-in image stabilization. BUT the focus points in the viewfinder don't light up. The only way to see the selected focus point is to look at the LCD onthe back of the camera which sounds really annoying to me.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
dj02
click click

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
I think it's the K-x with the color options. The K-x actually doesn't have 2 control dials so you have to do a few button presses to change ISO like any other camera brand. That aside though I really like the K-x except for one dealbreaker. It has the same sensor as the D90 & D5000, plus built-in image stabilization. BUT the focus points in the viewfinder don't light up. The only way to see the selected focus point is to look at the LCD onthe back of the camera which sounds really annoying to me.
oh wtf! that would be a auto deal breaker for me. i need to be able to change my focus points on the fly in the view finder, and be able to see what focus point is selected through the view finder.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by dj02
oh wtf! that would be a auto deal breaker for me. i need to be able to change my focus points on the fly in the view finder, and be able to see what focus point is selected through the view finder.
Yeah it's really disappointing since the initial reviews on image quality are really good. It has the D90 sensor but the Pentax processing handles low light and high ISO even a little better than the D90, and has pretty solid AF and continuous-shooting performance.

But the control scheme seems very biased towards just leaving it in auto and not messing with the settings too much; making most changes requires diving into a couple layers of menus. Me no likey. It's really disappointing because the K10D, K20D and K-7 have some of the best (IMHO) control layouts of any camera, but the K-x has nicer image quality.

Last edited by MrFatbooty; 11-21-2009 at 04:53 PM.