Notices

Help me get better, judge my pic

Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get better, judge my pic

Alright, so I did purchase those two books, read them and have taken about 200 + pictures since then, and I can honestly say it is gonna be like 1000 more until I have a good feel for things again. However I took this shot based on some advice from one book, and I personally thought it was ok, I had very limited light to work with, and I just took it at random on my own bed using a tripod (shitty cheap one).
It was taken at
Aperture - F5
Shutter Speed - 1/16
Exposure time - 1/15
focal length - 40mm
ISO - 200

I forget if I took this pic in full manual or just in aperture control mode. Also it is just the standard lens for the rebel I have. All I did post pic is crop it, and do an unsharpen mask cus I took it with image stabilisation on... which may have been a mistake. Constructive advice would be appreciated, especially if you could explain why you would change any settings would help too.

Oh yeah, my g/f graduated University this past weekend, that was an invite placed on a dried rose given to her from her Grandfather's funeral a year ago. So that was my inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
card1.jpg (702.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by lowbrow; 05-11-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
scotttharobot
beer here

technically looks fine, maybe underexposed a little. You were right for using IS, as it helps in low light with static subjects.

the subject just isn't all that interesting, and composition is kind of blah. that will all come later though, first step is getting the exposures down and learning the cam.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

Originally Posted by scotttharobot
technically looks fine, maybe underexposed a little. You were right for using IS, as it helps in low light with static subjects.

the subject just isn't all that interesting, and composition is kind of blah. that will all come later though, first step is getting the exposures down and learning the cam.
Much appreciated, and I agree the subject is not all that grabbing, I just threw down whatever I had and matched cus I was getting anxious to take pictures. The only way I can get better.