Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

OMG need advice on cop issue!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OMG need advice on cop issue!

I am having a very very bad night. About and hour ago i got pulled over by a cop, i was not speeding, nothing. I asked why he pulled me over and he would not tell me. So he asked for me to pop the hood of my car, and my short ram i guess is not carb except. (Oh Shit) Other then that everything was fine. Although he was convinced that my LS Integra had a upgraded or different motor in it. Long story short of course he wrote me a ticket. (Damn cops) And said i had to go to the DMV and get it checked to make sure it passes smog. (It passed 2 months ago) He said something about a ticket for 500-1,000 dollars but was so nervous i one, forgot to ask if it was a fix it or fine. (please no fine) and i also forgot the damn ticket, he never gave me a copy of it. So my question is what do i do, and is it a fix it or fine? Thanks Brian

Drinking right now i am so pissed..
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 AM
2gr84u
2gr84u

well if he never issue you the citation then its not a ticket, its more likley a fix it ticket by the sound of it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Was it
la mesa Pd or highway patrol?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Originally Posted by hitman619
Was it
la mesa Pd or highway patrol?
La mesa and damnit i have the ticket.

Wired things on it are

Said he pulled me over by Fletcher parkway in la mesa, however he pulled me over on the freeway (Just off college)

Pulled me over at 10:00pm said under comments he put early day Light.

speed they put me at on ticket was 35 max was 45??!!

This does not make any sense...

Does anyone know what exactly i have to do next? Can i throw back in stock air box and re-smog it?

bty its 27156(B) violation

Last edited by BKKloppenborg; 06-23-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Google "CVC 27156(b) + CHP"
Essentially, it's a correctable citation for your illegal intake.

Bolt up your stock airbox, go to the nearest CHP office and see if they'll sign off on the citation. Hopefully, you won't have to make an appointment with the CARB referee.

Location, time and probable cause really don't matter in this case.
The discrepancies you mention aren't enough to dismiss the violation.

Besides the CHP has jurisdiction statewide, no matter the road.
IMO, it's not worth your time to fight it through the courts.

Sure... you were probably profiled for driving an import, but OTOH you knew in advance what happens if you aren't using CARB legal parts.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Google "CVC 27156(b) + CHP"
Essentially, it's a correctable citation for your illegal intake.

Bolt up your stock airbox, go to the nearest CHP office and see if they'll sign off on the citation. Hopefully, you won't have to make an appointment with the CARB referee.

Location, time and probable cause really don't matter in this case.
The discrepancies you mention aren't enough to dismiss the violation.

Besides the CHP has jurisdiction statewide, no matter the road.
IMO, it's not worth your time to fight it through the courts.

Sure... you were probably profiled for driving an import, but OTOH you knew in advance what happens if you aren't using CARB legal parts.
Officer was a dick, he also said my exhaust system was illegal was was as loud of a Harley(WTF) which is bull because it passed smog with no problems (With a dying cat) then he said the short ram was bad.. What do i do? He put that it was not Correctable.... damit i have to go to smog referee July 7th... What do i do i saw him take pictures, of my car, but their is no report (asked today). Need advice..

What is smog referee going to do?

Last edited by BKKloppenborg; 06-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by BKKloppenborg
Officer was a dick, he also said my exhaust system was illegal was was as loud of a Harley(WTF) which is bull because it passed smog with no problems (With a dying cat) then he said the short ram was bad..
Before we go any further, we need to know exactly what sections of the Vehicle Code you've been cited for.

Did he only write you up for CVC 27156(b)?
Or did he also cite you for CVC 27151?

27156(b) is for an illegal emissions system modification (your eBay short ram intake).

27151 is for exceeding the CA state limits for exhaust noise (95 dBA).

If he ticketed you for 27151, you'll have to pass a sound test at the smog referee in addition to the inspection required for violating 27156(b).

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Before we go any further, we need to know exactly what sections of the Vehicle Code you've been cited for.

Did he only write you up for CVC 27156(b)?
Or did he also cite you for CVC 27151?

27156(b) is for an illegal emissions system modification (your eBay short ram intake).

27151 is for exceeding the CA state limits for exhaust noise (95 dBA).

If he ticketed you for 27151, you'll have to pass a sound test at the smog referee in addition to the inspection required for violating 27156(b).
It was the 27156(B) one i even found out he put wrong number LP number on ticket.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
flyromeo3

damn,...im glad I dont live in CA. You guys have some retarded laws. Im surprised your even allowed to drive cars with all these restrictions and stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by BKKloppenborg
It was the 27156(B) one i even found out he put wrong number LP number on ticket.
Again, that's a discrepancy that is unlikely to get your citation dismissed.

Since you were only cited for CVC 27156(B), the CARB referee will conduct a very thorough inspection of your emissions equipment to ensure it is functioning correctly. I would expect them to run a full smog test as well, to confirm that you are within the legal limits for CO / NOx / HC.

Also, they will be checking to see that all aftermarket engine parts (other than a cat-back exhaust) are certified by CARB and have the CARB Exemption Order number prominently displayed.

Do the following before you go:

* Remove your eBay short ram intake. If you are using a breather filter for the PCV hose, reconnect it to the OEM air intake as it was installed by the factory.

* If you have any other engine parts that aren't CARB certified, replace them with the OEM equivalent. That means intake manifold, exhaust manifold, high-flow catalytic converter, etc. A cat-back exhaust can stay, since it has no bearing on emissions.

* Since they'll probably run a emissions test, I would get the catalytic converter as hot as possible on the drive over to the referee. If your spark plugs are more than 30,000 miles old, replace them. Do all the routine prep for a biannual smog check.

Then once this is all over, sell that cheap illegal intake and if you feel like you must have a short ram, replace it with a CARB certified part. In the wake of this citation, I would expect that you'll be sent to a Test Only smog check station for the next biannual inspection, so it would be wise to play by the rules from now on.