Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Do I Owe Honda Money?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 PM
l008com
Zoom Zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Owe Honda Money?

Hi
I'm having an issue with Honda/Acura and I'm hoping some people can chime in with some info. Specifically, people who work at dealerships and have dealt with this before.

I sold my TL this February. It was a lease, and I found a buyer myself. Since I can't buyout a lease, we went through a dealership. The same dealer i bought the car from. So the dealership bought the car from me. I have a bill of sale here and everything. They called honda, got a payoff. I put in about $500 cash out of my pocket, and my buyer then bought the car from the dealer at a price we all agreed upon. An odd but not unheard of arrangement.

So every day I go online and check and finally my account balanced via the honda finance web site showed $0.00 owed. This is besides the fact that the guy at the dealership took my money and my car and said I was done with the car.

So then a little time after that, I got a bill from honda for excise tax for $500. I have yet to pay it as I had to fax them my plate return receipt 3 times before they actually GOT it. That brings us to today.
They are getting the tax reduced from the town since excise tax is paid forwarded and i only owned the car for 1 month of the year.

MEANWHILE they are expecting me to pay them $500 and then if they get it reduced, they will send me a refund.

But, I don't even own this car. My account was paid off by the dealer. They even sent the title to them, so the buyer I found now owns the car, title in hand. (well the dealer has the title, I'm pretty sure he financed it but whatever, the title was sent out). Based on this, I don't think I owe Honda shit, do I? I think they are just trying to scam me for the money. The dealer was responsible for paying off the car, and if honda sent them the title without the car being paid off, this is Honda's problem, is it not?

This is how I look at this situation. Hopefully I'm right because that car was nothing but trouble and I'd hate for it to be fucking me over one last time.

Last edited by l008com; 04-08-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
l008com
Zoom Zoom

Another add on, once I signed the bill of sale, and especially once the title is mailed out, isn't my honda contract dissolved?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Originally Posted by l008com

So then a little time after that, I got a bill from honda for excise tax for $500. I have yet to pay it as I had to fax them my plate return receipt 3 times before they actually GOT it. That brings us to today.
They are getting the tax reduced from the town since excise tax is paid forwarded and i only owned the car for 1 month of the year.

MEANWHILE they are expecting me to pay them $500 and then if they get it reduced, they will send me a refund.
So I get this right.

1. You live in a state or town where they charge you a yearly excise tax for operating your vehicle.

2. The full amount of the tax is levied at the start of the year, not assessed at the end of a year.

3. The state/local government assessed $500 excise tax, and sent the bill to Honda motors.

4. You were the owner of the vehicle at the beginning of the tax period.

I'd contact a tax accountant on this, it all depends on the local tax code out there.

I would hope that you would owe 1/12 of the $500.

Related Question: Did you have to pay an excise tax on your new vehicle?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
l008com
Zoom Zoom

1) yes
2) right
3) correct
4) no, honda was

The new vehicle's excise tax is build into the lease payment, thats how Mazda does it.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 AM
l008com
Zoom Zoom

I don't think this is a tax issue. Honda was charged the tax and they paid it. The question is, can they just randomly bill me for it? This amount should have been part of the lease paypoff. Once I sold the car to the dealer, aren't they responsible to pay it off, in full?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
l008com
Zoom Zoom

I'm bringing this thread back to life, maybe someone else might know. I have a letter here from honda, the newest one. This one specifically says that the tax was applied to my car after my account with honda was closed. Unfortunately I can't find my lease contract. I stopped treating it like it was an important document once I sold my car to a dealer and they told me I was completely done with the car. It might have gotten thrown away. Regardless, once my account is closed, doesn't that mean I'm DONE, and they can't bill me for more money that, in my opinion, should have been paid by the dealership that bought the car from me.

http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?i...aletterrs0.jpg