Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Dude what the hell, Heath Shuler is running for Congress?!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dude what the hell, Heath Shuler is running for Congress?!

Friggin Heath Shuler...even worse than friggin Trent Dilfer. Gah. Now he's running for Congress?! At least he's a democrat, but geez.

Amid the din of politics, Redskins' fan cries: 'Stop Shuler!'
By TIM WHITMIRE, Associated Press Writer
September 8, 2006

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- In the mountains of western North Carolina, former NFL quarterback Heath Shuler talks about illegal immigration and the Iraq war as he tries to oust Republican Rep. Charles Taylor in one of the more competitive House races.

Thousands of miles away, in San Diego, Jason Woodmansee fears a crucial issue is being overlooked.

"From an objective, quantitative viewpoint, Shuler was a terrible NFL quarterback," Woodmansee writes on his blog, www.StopShuler.com. "He completely failed at the one thing he was trained to do out of college, and yet was paid millions of dollars. The last thing we need in Washington is someone who gets paid a lot of money to do a lousy job."

Don't go to Woodmansee's site if you want nuanced debate on the candidates and their positions. He has only one thing on his mind: Keeping the former Redskins quarterback from getting back to Washington

"There are certainly former athletes that run for Congress or office, happens all the time," Woodmansee said in a phone interview from his home. "But there are very few who played in Washington and would be returning. And there certainly haven't been many cases where the person has failed in Washington and now wants to go back.

"(You) don't want Shuler's stench of failure rubbing off on the current Redskins."

Shuler's campaign has followed Woodmansee's online campaign with amusement.

"He is a very fervent Redskins fan, and we applaud that kind of devotion," Shuler spokesman Andrew Whalen said Friday. "My fantasy team is especially hoping for a good season from (Redskins running back) Clinton Portis."

The 34-year-old Woodmansee, a graduate of George Washington University, was living in Washington in 1994 when the Redskins selected Shuler with the third pick in the NFL draft. Shuler was highly regarded, having finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy the previous year while at Tennessee.

The Redskins were just two years removed from a Super Bowl win, and Dallas Cowboys coordinator Norv Turner had been hired to succeed then-retired coach Joe Gibbs. As Woodmansee recalls, the idea was that with Shuler, running back Stephen Davis and receiver Michael Westbrook, Turner would duplicate the Troy Aikman-Emmitt Smith-Michael Irvin trio that led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles in the 1990s.

Instead, Shuler held out during his rookie training camp for a big contract and played in only 19 games over the next three years, with the Redskins winning just four.

So far, Woodmansee hasn't been impressed with the efforts by Taylor, an eight-term Republican incumbent, to beat back Shuler's challenge. So he decided to take matters into his own hands.

"(We) are sick of standing idly by while Taylor screws up this campaign. If he is afraid to talk about the REAL issues in this campaign, we aren't. Here is our TV ad," he wrote on the blog, next to the first of his two anti-Shuler "attack ads."

With the requisite ominous music and voiceover and grainy black-and-white photos, the ads -- which Woodmansee also posted on YouTube.com -- are pitch-perfect satires of a dark political art. They've helped draw attention to his site, which Woodmansee says "is obviously a joke."

"The ads are very funny, and Heath had a good laugh at them," Whalen said.

Now living in San Diego, where he works for Digitaria, an interactive ad agency, Woodmansee is a Democrat and recognizes that a Shuler win over Taylor could help Democrats take control of the House.

But he places Redskins loyalty ahead of party loyalty.

In the end, whether Democrats or Republicans control the House doesn't matter, he said. "The really important thing is football. A Redskins Super Bowl vs. a Democratic Congress? That's not really that hard of a choice."

On the Web:

Stop Shuler: http://www.stopshuler.com

Shuler's campaign site: http://www.heathshuler.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Black2KGSR

so...the argument is that because he was a terrible football player, he'll be a terrible politician? That makes perfect sense.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't he the one that rammed his head into the wall in celebration and got a bad concussion?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Duff Man

It's about damn time we got a jock on our side. F'n go Heath Shuler!

Fatbooty, just remember, if he gets voted in, it's an easy congressional vote when it matters. We just need to fill seats and let the proper folks voice out the argument. If he wants a seat, lets give it to him....he's on our side and thats all that matters.

Last edited by Duff Man; 09-10-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by Duff Man
Fatbooty, just remember, if he gets voted in, it's an easy congressional vote when it matters. We just need to fill seats and let the proper folks voice out the argument. If he wants a seat, lets give it to him....he's on our side and thats all that matters.
I love it. Does not matter who the person is or what they stand for. As long as they have a pulse and will vote the party line they are accepted in the Democratic party. What ever happened to being your own person in the Democratic party with your own points of view. Oh that's right...ask Joe Lieberman that question.

As for Shuler running it should not matter how he performed as a pro athlete (as long as it was respectable) but whether or not he is qualified for the job and can represent his people effectively in Congress.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
I love it. Does not matter who the person is or what they stand for. As long as they have a pulse and will vote the party line they are accepted in the Democratic party. What ever happened to being your own person in the Democratic party with your own points of view. Oh that's right...ask Joe Lieberman that question.

As for Shuler running it should not matter how he performed as a pro athlete (as long as it was respectable) but whether or not he is qualified for the job and can represent his people effectively in Congress.
I was being partially sarcastic. Regardless, how many GOP law makers have made it to their seat by being an occupational politician? How many of them just follow allong like sheep and vote "just because". It's times of desperation from both sides and both sides will take whatever measures needed. As long as their isn't a second option, I prefer someone who comes out of the wood work that will agree with me vs someone that does not.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I was being partially sarcastic. Regardless, how many GOP law makers have made it to their seat by being an occupational politician? How many of them just follow allong like sheep and vote "just because". It's times of desperation from both sides and both sides will take whatever measures needed. As long as their isn't a second option, I prefer someone who comes out of the wood work that will agree with me vs someone that does not.
I would tend to believe that the GOP is more tolerant to dissent within their own party then the Democrats. Within the GOP you have people who are pro-life and pro-choice. Pro-gun & anti-gun. Pro-wall on southern border & pro-amnesty. Sure it is not perfect but there are far few "occupational" politicians.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:45 AM
fjm1
G35

I was being partially sarcastic. .
This simple sentence tells the tale. Wishy washy in your poltical views, like a hemorrhoid you are inflammatory for inflammation's sake.

FTW

Take you medicine and focus.

Shuler will be judged by his actions. He's already got the deck stacked against him. Any time a former celebrity makes a political debut the level of expectation is high. Bono, Eastwood, Swartzenegger, and Reagan all adapted and, to varying degrees, faired well. They were all actors/entertainers. Ventura, on the other hand, got into some hot water.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by fjm1
This simple sentence tells the tale. Wishy washy in your poltical views, like a hemorrhoid you are inflammatory for inflammation's sake.

FTW

Take you medicine and focus.

Shuler will be judged by his actions. He's already got the deck stacked against him. Any time a former celebrity makes a political debut the level of expectation is high. Bono, Eastwood, Swartzenegger, and Reagan all adapted and, to varying degrees, faired well. They were all actors/entertainers. Ventura, on the other hand, got into some hot water.
Nice attempt to de-rail me. I would hardly call it "wishy washy". If the GOP can have occupational law makers, so can the Dems.

That's my point and I'm not backing out of it. And besides, it's about damn time the Dems have the chance at seating a jock.

And as far as your comments par after that classy analogy, I agree.