Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...

Old 06-22-2002, 08:29 PM
yianni64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: QQ

Originally posted by 95AccordV6

Yeah I agree with you that IMA sounds like a very good system and probably many professional journalists would like it as well as understand it, but to most of us, some normal people who don't understand car that much, do we care how high tech it is? Today the only electric-motor plus gas engine vehicles on road are only Prius and Civic hybrid and insight, and all of them are relatively more economical.
I believe that this IMA thing would be successful if it's in $30,000 range or lower, but Acura is trying to put it in the flagship car. However, I have to agree that Honda is good in leading trend, may be 10 years later all the luxury sedans have IMA system instead of the traditional gas engine, who knows?
Well, the IMA doesnt make Honda much if any profit on the cars its on right now. But if they put it in a flagship luxury car, they wont have to underwrite the expense of the system itself, someone who wants a full size luxury car is willing to fork it out anyways.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Jeff TYPE R
Crazy AE86 dude.

Originally posted by yianni64

while your at it, supra isnt V6 or awd.
I know that...

Old 06-23-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by s2ktonv

not meh:
I agree with you. The good ol' v8 still gets my nod. Honda could use IMA with a v8 if it can overcome the weight and cost issue.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:05 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
I know that...

He was just piling on. Shutup.

Awais, expand on your opinion instead of a one liner. Why can't IMA V6 do the job? How do they make a V8 fuel efficient (wieght issue? IMA will ADD weight!), and how do they make a V8 without spending hundreds of millions to use it in ONE Luxury Car and ONE Exotic Car?
Old 06-23-2002, 03:18 AM

An IMA system with v8 would be a very good option if Honda could overcome the additional weight of the IMA , and two more cylinders, (going from 6 to 8) and the cost of developing a new engine.

But I believe these problems can be overcome

1) Honda's very good at making compact engines. That plus it already has a 4.0 v8 developed by Mugen.

2) The cost of developing a v8 can be spread by making it an optional feature on some other vehicles such as MDX, TL, CL.

I'll be a little harsh here, but i do believe Honda's being an ass about the whole RWD v8 thing. I am sure if they make a reasonablly good engine (and good engines are Honda's strength) it'll sell.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:05 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by Awais
An IMA system with v8 would be a very good option if Honda could overcome the additional weight of the IMA , and two more cylinders, (going from 6 to 8) and the cost of developing a new engine.

But I believe these problems can be overcome

1) Honda's very good at making compact engines. That plus it already has a 4.0 v8 developed by Mugen.

2) The cost of developing a v8 can be spread by making it an optional feature on some other vehicles such as MDX, TL, CL.

I'll be a little harsh here, but i do believe Honda's being an ass about the whole RWD v8 thing. I am sure if they make a reasonablly good engine (and good engines are Honda's strength) it'll sell.
I dont think IMA's weight is an issue, it increases hp-to-weight ratio by a bit while increasing the mileage.

While the MDX could use a V8, it could also use a V6 and IMA, just like the Dodge Durango will. Hybrids are the cars of the near future, even the domestic guys have various models planned.

Here's something to think about, Honda doesnt NEED rwd. They do great without it. But, a few of its cars would benifit by being rwd, just as they would by being awd.

Edited for spelling, kinda

Last edited by yianni64; 06-23-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:44 AM

Thsi reminds me of something this rocket scientist (really) from NASA said:

"In this business (referring to rocket science) you have to make mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, then by deifinition you can't learn"

Only if this Norihiko Shirouzu guy would pay some heed to it.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:59 AM
yianni64

Originally posted by Awais
Thsi reminds me of something this rocket scientist (really) from NASA said:

"In this business (referring to rocket science) you have to make mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, then by deifinition you can't learn"

Only if this Norihiko Shirouzu guy would pay some heed to it.
right right, some mistakes? 1st gen odessy and tl, and the passport, mistakes

And truthfully, i bet yall IMA is more of a risk than a simple V8 engine, but its more in tune with Honda's "image". They can carve themselves as being the true leaders of this new evoloution in automobile making.

But then again, the V8 engine, wow, been around forever, by no means a new design or anything. Honda COULD easily make one of they wanted to, but well, they DONT.

This is kinda off topic, but I was just reading Autoweek and they had a comparo or some roadsters. Well, they had three Japanese one, the Mr2 Spyder, the Miata and the S2000. Know the funny part? They complained about the S2000's lack of low end torque. How gay, the S2000 puts over 140lb/ft to the wheels while the MR2 and Miata each put down about 105lb/ft max. I just thought it was funny how the magazine industry kinda feeds of each other, hmmm MotorTrend said it didnt have low-end torque, I guess thats right.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Jeice
One Rad Dude

Im fine with the 4's and 6's that can hand the 8's their asses in a handbasket.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:50 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

OK let me weigh in here with my opinion...

The NSX does not need a V8...a V6 with IMA would be more than enough for it. I would like to see it AWD though.

As for a V8 in other applications I am torn between the two sides, V8 or V6 with IMA. On one hand I would think that making a V8 would be advantageous for Honda. It could put it in the RL, MDX and even make another SUV to compete with the Sequoia (sp), Land Cruiser and the Lexus counter part. However if the RL does not compete with the 7, A8, S-Class, LS, etc then a V6 with IMA would be great. And it would give bragging rights to Honda and most likely pull sales away from the Q.

If Honda does have a V8 from Mugen than I think they should offer the RL and MDX in limited quantities, much in the same manner the CL w/. 6spd is. This way they can judge if it would sell well and they should mass produce them. But they should definately move forward on the V6 with IMA. That is going to be huge in the Accord, Pilot, CL, TL, Odysey, & NSX...plus they get the bragging rights for being the first company to mass produce a car with V6 IMA.

I say give the V8 a shot. YOu are never going to know how the public will react to it unless you put a finished product in their hands.

Quick Reply: No Honda V8 or RWD, unless...