Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Luxury Comparison Tests by Car and Driver

Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 PM
lexusis350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Comparison Tests by Car and Driver

Fifth Place: 2007 Lexus LS460L

Highs: Tranquil environment, flawless finish, comprehensive standard luxury equipment.

Lows: Soft in roll, squishy tires, small trunk, long stopping distances.

The Verdict: May be the most indulgent luxury car in the segment.

Fourth Place: 2006 Jaguar Super V-8

Highs: Keen steering, pliant ride, low weight, simple controls.

Lows: Engine not always that strong, narrow body compromises space for passengers.

The Verdict: The perfect long car for those still fighting World War II.

Third Place: 2006 BMW 750Li

Highs: A fast driver's car that has all the moves.

Lows: Challenging ergonomics (the curse of iDrive), interior is not that elegant.

The Verdict: Fun to drive if not to look at.

Second Place: 2006 Audi A8L Quattro

Highs: Cool styling, sporty character, cheaper than German colleagues.

Lows: Smallish engine relative to the competition, slowest off the line.

The Verdict: A very adaptable vehicle.

First Place: 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550

Highs: Torquey V-8, great ride, amazing handling.

Lows: Seriously expensive, polarizing styling.

The Verdict: Maximum comfort, with plenty of excitement for the guy behind the wheel.

Source
Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Default ...

kinda surprised the Jag ranked better than the Lexus and Audi ranked better than the BMW... interesting...
Old 12-11-2006, 04:18 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by GhettoMax
kinda surprised the Jag ranked better than the Lexus and Audi ranked better than the BMW... interesting...
Yea, its kinda sad. The Lexus is brand new and the Jaguar is old. Must mean that the Lexus is not a worthy competitor since it is dead last. Does C&D want Lexus to redesign the LS again? I thought it was a big improvement but I guess I am wrong.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally Posted by lexusis350
Yea, its kinda sad. The Lexus is brand new and the Jaguar is old. Must mean that the Lexus is not a worthy competitor since it is dead last. Does C&D want Lexus to redesign the LS again? I thought it was a big improvement but I guess I am wrong.

It came in dead last because AND ONLY BECAUSE it has very soft handling. If you read the article carefully, C&D was rather dissappointed in it's softness. C&D is a driver's magazine, so they put performance at a very heavy weight in their rankings. Everything else about the car - fit and finish, quality, power, sophistocation - C&D liked. But because it was very sloppy under hard handling, it lost respect.

For 99% of the people buying this type of car, it's a very fine machine and worthy of every penny on the window sticker. Truth be told, if you remove the handling aspect from all the cars tested, I bet the LS460 would come in first or second.

And yes, it IS a big improvement over the LS430.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
AcuraFanatic

The Jaguar came out in 2006. It only looks old. It's pretty evolutionary.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Troopa-R

:slap: Given how ridiculous your logic is, sometimes I just wonder if you're just a Toyota fanboy desperately trying to piss off folks on a Honda board.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Once again, your logic is absolutely aneurysm-inducing. :a:

One review calls the LS460 what it is -- a softly sprung, comfort-biased luxury sedan -- and you write it off as a failure.

This is the same kind of fanboy shit that earned you a mandatory vacation.

Knock it off.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Once again, your logic is absolutely aneurysm-inducing. :a:

One review calls the LS460 what it is -- a softly sprung, comfort-biased luxury sedan -- and you write it off as a failure.

This is the same kind of fanboy shit that earned you a mandatory vacation.

Knock it off.
I am just questioning, did Lexus do everything they can to make the LS competitive. I think they fell short with the comfort and the article said their preproduction model had some wind noise. Back to the article.

The Mercedes is really hard to beat and it is an amazing car. It looks so nice on the streets and looks really luxurious. The Audi is a really nice car, I saw one the other day and it looks like it has HID drls on the fog lights, really nice feature.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Hmmm. I would have the Jaguar out of the group. It has soul.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Troopa-R

I am just questioning, did Lexus do everything they can to make the LS competitive. I think they fell short with the comfort and the article said their preproduction model had some wind noise. Back to the article.
Yes.

1. About the LS460 not being comfortable: "A comfortable ride, a quiet and scrupulously climate-controlled atmosphere, multiadjustable seating with Peltier cooling pads, and video entertainment with one of the best car stereos ever devised are at your disposal."

2. About wind noise (is English not your first language?): "sound levels are low enough inside that imperfect door seals on our preproduction vehicle produced wind noise that seemed hurricane-like in comparison."

That pretty much means the car is so quiet that some pre-production imperfections show up so readily. The fact that this car is pre-production (read: hand built) means that it's not reflective of production quality. They tend to be lower.