Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2008 Lexus IS-F 500 spy shots

Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if Lexus will offer AWD
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an automatic will be nicer with this car, and nearly all of the MB's that it's going against all run automatics.

people who are willing to pay this much money for a car most likely will be looking for an automatic transmisison anyway.

AWD WILL NOT BE AN OPTION.

even if the car is automatic the drivetrain will be a purist drivetrain, if anything at all i'd expect the IS300 to have AWD, but even still i believe that the only IS to have AWD will be the IS250.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
AcuraFanatic

Problem is manuals cater to such a small audience, and we're unfortunately that audience.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:50 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

The speculation and hearsay is finally over. Lexus, having failed to match the basic BMW 3-series with the IS, is going straight for the big dog M3 with its new IS-F. Under the massively bulged hood you see here is a 5.0-liter beast of a V-8 engine putting out over 400 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. Behind big nineteen-inch BBS front wheels lie six-pot aluminum Brembo calipers--the first ever with "Lexus" written across them--squeezing down on 14.2-inch perforated discs that hope to also clamp down on the lips of Lexus-doubters.

The IS-F borrows its far-beyond-necessity eight-speed transmission from the LS, but unlike in the LS, gearbox can be controlled via wheel-mounted paddles. Lexus claims that upshifts are popped off in a tenth of a second, and downshifts are met with automated blips of the throttle to match engine revs.

The IS-F rides up to an inch lower than other IS models, and is wider overall thanks to flared wheel surrounds and ridiculous brake vents behind the front wheels. At the rear, the IS-F is distinguished by unique, stacked quad exhaust outlets. Aluminum trim and sport seats--finished in black or white leather--define the interior, along with a special button for a new three-mode version of VDIM, Lexus's stability control system. Like similar systems from BMW and Cadillac, the driver can chose from a full-on stability mode, a sport mode that allows for some hoonery, and a full off mode that opens the flood gate for full drift action.

And full-on drifts won't be a problem with all that power. Lexus estimates a 0-60 mph time of less than 4.9 seconds for the IS-F, which is the first Lexus "F" cars. "F" will be the designation for sporty Lexus cars, much like "M" is to BMW, "AMG" to Mercedes, and "S" and "RS" are to Audi.

Lexus general manager Bob Carter says that "the intent of creating the IS-F was not to be a competitor to other performance-sport sedans. Rather, the goal was to create a true performance sedan in a uniquely Lexus way-one that is totally authentic with a unique interpretation of raw driving thrill at all speeds and provides a whole new definition of 'usable power.'" We hope that this unique interpretation is something brand new, because the Lexus experience we think of leans toward the numb, soulless side of the scale. With the debut of the IS-F, the task of creating a real performer appears to be complete for Lexus engineers. But now the real test begins. Can the fusing of the words "Lexus" and "performance" capture the hearts of the enthusiasts who matter? We'll find out when the IS-F arrives at dealerships in early 2008.
Lexus today unveiled the IS-F luxury sedan at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The all-new 2008 IS-F will target the BMW M3 and Audi RS4, delivering more than 400 horsepower and 350 ft.-lbs. of torque from a 5.0-liter V8 engine. It will eventually be offered as a two-door coupe, as well.

Much of the development of the new IS-F took place at Fuji Speedway and the Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan. The IS-F is based on the rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, which is equipped with a double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. The IS-F engine is mated to the world’s first eight-speed "direct sport-shift" transmission. A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears.

In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs smoothly, and the torque converter allows for quick 0-60 acceleration in less than 4.9 seconds. The transmission also features a manual mode operated via a pair of paddles. Downshifts are accompanied by automated throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed. Heavy-duty Brembo brakes with 14.2-inch discs and six-piston calipers ensure all the power is kept under control. The IS-F features custom-designed 19-inch forged alloy wheels as standard.
More pics and info.

OMG! (bold, underlined text)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fdivision1.jpg (262.7 KB, 40 views)
fdivision2.jpg (316.4 KB, 31 views)
fdivision3.jpg (304.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 PM
98typeR

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Ok, aside from that being an obvious photoshop, where did you get it?

If you did the photoshopping yourself, say "this is a Photoshop I did."

If you found this picture elsewhere and are re-hosting it, say where you got the picture from.

Thank you.
Well, I guess we now know the answer to that question.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
lexusis350

Only 400 horsepower, 4.9 seconds 0-60? Weak
8 Speed Auto? Be nicer with a 6-8 Speed Manual

I thought this was supposed to go against the M3. It has to go around 3-4 seconds. The IS350 already goes 0-60 in 5.2, so only .3 second faster with 100 more horsepower and $$$ more?

I think the front looks uglier, hood doesn't look smooth, but I like the rear.

Nice try, hopefully Lexus will have a better redesign next time around after they learn from this experiment.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

It's amazingly, ridiculously stupid to completely discount a car based solely on its manufacturer-quoted 0-60 time. Even if you're nothing but a worthless bench racer, at least wait til a few magazine tests come out fer chrissakes.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Troopa-R

Originally Posted by lexusis350
Be nicer with a 6-8 Speed Manual
You want an 8-speed manual? Um... sure. You know how to drive a stick shift, right? And you really want to row though that many gears?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Ochdx

FYI, one of the magazines, I believe R&T, got a stock IS350 to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

the tires are almost tucked...teh hawtness