Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Mercedes Benz vs. "Microsleep"

Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
lexusis350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Benz vs. "Microsleep"

Mercedes-Benz is working on several different systems to warn drivers of the early stages of microsleep. It is developing systems that monitor the driver's eyes to detect altered blinking patterns. When it does, there will be an audible warning to the driver. There is also a system that monitors driving habits and enters values into an algorithm. When the driver's driving patterns fall out of the calculated range, such as no steering wheel movement for a long period of time, an alarm is triggered.

As the frequency of spending long, monotonous periods of time behind the wheel grows, these systems seem to make more and more sense. Commute times as well as driving vacations are increasing exponentially as the number of vehicles on the road explodes, making these systems more and more necessary to help keep drivers more alert behind the wheel.

Finally a car company finally thought about this. This would make the roads safer and save countless lives. MB will make an advanced system that has many alerts to wake up a driver.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by lexusis350
Finally a car company finally thought about this. This would make the roads safer and save countless lives. MB will make an advanced system that has many alerts to wake up a driver.
Gee, sounds familiar. Toyota developed a similar eye tracking system over a year ago, and is already available in Japan.
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=204081
Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by mayonaise
Gee, sounds familiar. Toyota developed a similar eye tracking system over a year ago, and is already available in Japan.
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=204081
O, didn't see that post. Sorry mayonaise. But it says that it will be sold Spring 2006 in Japan. Also many ppl replied that they think its a bad idea so hopefully Mercedes-Benz makes it safer.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 PM
mayonaise

O, didn't see that post. Sorry mayonaise. But it says that it will be sold Spring 2006 in Japan. Also many ppl replied that they think its a bad idea so hopefully Mercedes-Benz makes it safer.
What is your point? Spring 2006 was nine months ago, hence, it's already available in Japan (which I already said). :stupid:

And if you had actually read through that thread, you would have noticed that ONE person thought it was a bad idea. ONE. One does not equal many. :slap: If you think Toyota's system is unsafe, why don't you show me an accident caused by it, or any mention of a malfunction. No? Well I'll save you some time - there aren't any. Just like the self parking feature: it works. End of story.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by mayonaise
What is your point? Spring 2006 was nine months ago, hence, it's already available in Japan (which I already said). :stupid:

And if you had actually read through that thread, you would have noticed that ONE person thought it was a bad idea. ONE. One does not equal many. :slap: If you think Toyota's system is unsafe, why don't you show me an accident caused by it, or any mention of a malfunction. No? Well I'll save you some time - there aren't any. Just like the self parking feature: it works. End of story.
When i was banned, I went back to the Automobile Magazine site and those 3 guys inside the car were Automotive Journalist. They are professionals who know a lot about cars and they raise a good question. If automotive journalist cannot use the system, how can an average joe use the system?

Thats the question we are not asking. We can look on the commerical and see it park, but not how it is used and where they system fails to park like when they almost hit the van. The system has its limitations.

But i finally will give Toyota credit since they actually have it out on the market.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was banned, I went back to the Automobile Magazine site and those 3 guys inside the car were Automotive Journalist. They are professionals who know a lot about cars and they raise a good question. If automotive journalist cannot use the system, how can an average joe use the system?

Thats the question we are not asking. We can look on the commerical and see it park, but not how it is used and where they system fails to park like when they almost hit the van. The system has its limitations.

But i finally will give Toyota credit since they actually have it out on the market.
the film was a satire. they knew how to use it, I'll guarantee you that. they used it to exemplify the fact that if you are smart enough to use the computer to back up you probably have the brains enough to be able to park in the first place.

as for this micro sleep thing--- as a driver who has commonly been on hour+ trips in the dark I can contest that without enough stimuli i will start to doze off. it's not so much that I'm falling asleep, it's just my eyes want to close, esp with the on-again/ off-again nature of oncoming headlights in minimal traffic situations.

bottom line is if there isn't someone there to talk to me I will most likely start to shut my eyes for a good half second or two just out of reaction to the headlights of oncoming traffic.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 PM
mayonaise

Have all those other videos and links I posted showing the self parking system in action escaped from your brain AGAIN? :chuckles: The people in those videos were NOT automotive journalists, but they could use it perfectly. What does that tell you aobut the Automobile magazine video? You keep coming back to that as if its holy scripture. So I'll say it again, for the last time. The only thing I see in that video are three monkeys that didn't read the owner's manual.

Some people never learn.. seriously. :eh:
Old 11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
lexusis350

Originally Posted by sherwood
the film was a satire. they knew how to use it, I'll guarantee you that. they used it to exemplify the fact that if you are smart enough to use the computer to back up you probably have the brains enough to be able to park in the first place.

as for this micro sleep thing--- as a driver who has commonly been on hour+ trips in the dark I can contest that without enough stimuli i will start to doze off. it's not so much that I'm falling asleep, it's just my eyes want to close, esp with the on-again/ off-again nature of oncoming headlights in minimal traffic situations.

bottom line is if there isn't someone there to talk to me I will most likely start to shut my eyes for a good half second or two just out of reaction to the headlights of oncoming traffic.

Yea I agree, during long car rides, you want to fall asleep. I wish I had a fun car to drive so I wouldn't get bored. I hope this system works with deep sleepers.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Please refer to Article Posting Rules.

PM me with links to your original article and I will re-open.