Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

GM Makes it official: New Camaro will be produced

Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Makes it official: New Camaro will be produced

surprise!!! no one saw this coming, right?

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=27934
Auto Buyers Have Spoken: GM Will Build An All-New Chevrolet Camaro

Next generation of classic sport coupe goes into production in late 2008, on sale in 2009; will be almost identical to wildly popular concept unveiled at NAIAS

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – Dear sports car fans: General Motors heard you loud and clear.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the award-winning concept that stole the spotlight at the North American International Auto Show and has ignited the passion of car enthusiasts around the world ever since – even spurring consumers to start petition drives and send in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.

“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America's spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. “The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women, and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.

“We intend to make the all-new Camaro relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans,” said Peper. “The beauty of the best Camaros is that they have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers.”

In fact, the Camaro Concept design team embodies the universal appeal that Chevy envisions for the car: The core team reporting to the lead designer ranges in age from 27-35 and came from all over the world, yet they all had similar experiences growing up with a love for the Camaro and American performance cars. Their concept redefines the Camaro for both existing and new generations of fans in a contemporary way with responsive performance and modern technology.

Peper said Camaro will complement Chevy’s already-popular portfolio of performance vehicles led by Corvette and including its broad SS lineup.

An American icon
The Camaro has touched many lives – and graced many garages – with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally, and thousands of Camaro web sites pay homage to the sports coupe. A recent report on America Online’s Top Searches of 2005 placed Camaro in the Top 10 car searches for the year.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Far from a surprise, indeed.

I'm interested (and pleased) to see them go with an independent rear suspension, however. :hs: Live axle rear ends have no place on a modern high-performance street car.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

IRS in the Mustang Cobras was soo poorly developed that drag and road racers wound up swapping back in the live rear axles...IRS is a good thing if done right...not Ford job 1 in this case

this won't save GM...especially when gas will be $4 a gallon on average when it makes it to the showroom
Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by jaje
IRS in the Mustang Cobras was soo poorly developed that drag and road racers wound up swapping back in the live rear axles...IRS is a good thing if done right...not Ford job 1 in this case

this won't save GM...especially when gas will be $4 a gallon on average when it makes it to the showroom
I can understand that the drag set would swap back to the live axle rear end. Given my limited experience with a Fox-body Mustang, I am probably the most ardent critic of live axle suspensions, particularly it comes to a car that does more than just go straight for a lifetime.

In an ideal world, this new Camaro will borrow the IRS setup from the C6.

And ultimately, you're absolutely right.

The return of the Camaro will buoy stock levels for a quarter or two, but unless the V6 model sells like mad, it won't move them much closer to long-term profitablity. For comparison, they're already offering discounts on the V6 Mustang down here in LA. :chuckles:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 09-17-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 AM
MtViewGuy88
Hopeful FIT owner

I think one thing that could help Camaro sales is the fact we could see displacement on demand on the V-8 engine. That way, the Camaro will get good fuel economy at cruising speeds of around 55-75 mph but still have the full power for acceleration.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 AM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Cool. I could actually see myself being interested in this car after it's been in production for 3-4 years...hopefully they'll get most of the kinks worked out by then and demand will go down...
Old 09-16-2006, 03:55 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

Here's a couple of more links if anyone's interested. I'm trying to give Chevy the benefit of the doubt on this one despite whatever shortcomings the previous generations might have offered.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...amaro_concept/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3124

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_16.html

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/concept-chevy-camaro.shtm
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
ItsaHonda

I'm trying to give Chevy the benefit of the doubt on this one despite whatever shortcomings the previous generations might have offered.
>>>

This will be an entirely different car, sharing only the name (and engine, I'm assuming)... so I doubt you'll have much to worry about. The LS engine is nearly bulletproof and GM's RWD trannies are generally pretty robust as well. Build quality, cheap materials and dated design/technology were the Fbody's biggest faults. Looks like they've corrected all of that in the new Camaro. Of course, as was said before... GM is all bark and no bite. I'll hold final judgement until I see the production version in a couple of years.