Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Hyundai looking for a merger too?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
mayonaise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai looking for a merger too?

hyundai's hit some hard times, what with the arrest of its CEO and on-going union problems. their quest to become the world's #5 automaker by 2010 might be in danger. the answer might come in the form of an alliance (merger) with another auto maker. these mergers sure are becoming popular, especially for struggling companies. analysts think that mitsubishi is a likely choice.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/2006...8003610230.htm
Hyundai Motor Under Pressure to Look for Partner
Renault-Nissan, GM, Ford Leading Reorganization of Global Auto Industry

By Kim Yon-se
Staff Reporter

Hyundai Motor, hit by the prosecution’s investigation and its union’s strikes this year, is now saddled with concerns from business alliances among global carmakers.

The triple alliance being discussed among General Motors, Renault-Nissan and Toyota Motor has been a severe pressure for Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group as it struggles to become the world’s No. 5 automaker by 2010.

Analysts say Hyundai Motor should focus on a global trend in which the U.S., European and Japanese competitors seek a tie-up amid close sales battles in worldwide markets.

Hyundai Securities analyst Song Sang-hoon said he believes the world’s automobile industry has already gone into a mating processes for survival. ``It is necessary for Hyundai to make new alliances with global carmakers.’’

A Hyundai spokesman said his company has begun to research the impacts of the automakers’ possible triple alliance. ``After our automotive research subsidiary makes a report, we will take comprehensive countermeasures.’’

He declined to comment on the possibility of tie-ups with other U.S. or European carmakers after the research.

In 2000, the largest automaker of Korea sought a joint development of new cars in coordination with Daimler Chrysler but dropped the partnership in 2004, citing profitability issues between the two sides.

Market watchers point out Mitsubishi Motor as a potential business partner of Hyundai Motor.

By receiving royalty, the Japanese automaker handed over its technology to Hyundai since the early 1980s.

Furthermore, Mitsubishi is poised to open a sales unit in Korea soon while there are already three Japanese automakers _ Toyota, Honda and Nissan _ operating here.

There are speculations that the automaker has been in contact with a couple of Korean automobile importers over the past few years and may open a showroom as early as the end of 2006.

Meanwhile, Goodmorning Shinhan Securities analyst Yoon Dae-in said Hyundai-Kia won’t be affected by the possible alliance involving GM.

``First of all, the focus is on GM saving itself from a lackluster performance. Their (GM, Nissan) cars are not selling well in the global market, and they are cruising towards financial instability and loss of market share. These wounds have required the automakers to quickly bandage themselves.’’

He said the goal of this realizable auto pact is different from the steel M&A deal between Mittal and Arcelor. The global steel powers tied the knot to raise their overall production capacity and market shares to a much greater level.

GM’s largest shareholder Kerkorian saw the need to restructure due to unhealthy sales, leading to the suggestion of forming a network with Nissan-Renault to help each other out in cutting costs, not in boosting auto-making.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
AcuraFanatic

Hyundai is a pretty respectable company now IMO.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Ochdx

Originally Posted by AF
Eeeeh, bunch of copy cats... The Sonata looks sweet, but its such a rip off Accord that I think Honda refreshed the Accord with new tail lights to distinguish it from the Sonata
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by AF
I agree. Platform strength and safety is still not up to par with Toyota, Honda, or Subaru (look at the side impact results of the Sonata vs. the Camry, Accord, and Legacy). But for the most part, they're doing very well.

Within a generation or two (5-10 years), I could see Hyundai offering some legit high-performance models. With the Germans continually inflating their prices and Honda and Toyota being weary of offering a selection of sports cars (especially sedans), Hyundai could do some major damage in the $25K-$30K segment...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Originally Posted by ILuvItTheJDM
Within a generation or two (5-10 years), I could see Hyundai offering some legit high-performance models. With the Germans continually inflating their prices and Honda and Toyota being weary of offering a selection of sports cars (especially sedans), Hyundai could do some major damage in the $25K-$30K segment...
What's wrong with an Accord EX-V6 or a TSX? They are key players in that range, unless you like the Altima SE-R.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
autofreak

Sure Hyundai is climbing the ladder of respect but for some reason I think that people will always be speculative about them and that Honda and EVEN Toyota ( i say EVEN Toyota because of all the recalls they've been getting lately) will always be respected a little more.

Last edited by autofreak; 07-20-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Yay ... Hyundai plus Mitsubishi !!!
Corruption Motors!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:33 PM
autofreak

Originally Posted by M Type X
Yay ... Hyundai plus Mitsubishi !!!
Corruption Motors!
Mistubishi could actually use this partenship because i heard that they were gonna be calling it quits here in the states because of sales and stuff.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 PM
ILuvItTheJDM
VEETEHK

Originally Posted by M Type X
What's wrong with an Accord EX-V6 or a TSX? They are key players in that range, unless you like the Altima SE-R.
Accord sedan V6 = no manual = no care.

The TSX is nice, but too pricey. That thing should be sold as a separate model in a Honda dealership (just call it the Euro-R, no Accord in the name, and get rid of the leather, sunroof, HIDs, fancy stereo) for $23K. Then Honda should stop being lazy and design an Acura version with different styling and all the luxo crap and overcharge people for it.

I am not a fan of Nissan at all. The SE-R is OK, but doesn't really excite me.

The MazdaSpeed6 and the Legacy turbo are the only cars that would fit my desires, but I don't like that Subaru is making leather standard in all the turbo cars.

So I would be excited to see Hyundai (or anyone else) offer a midsize sedan with V6 and stick-shift, a well-sorted and safe chassis, and cloth for under $25K.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Troopa-R

Originally Posted by autofreak
Sure Hyundai is climbing the ladder of respect but for some reason I think that people will always be speculative about them and that Honda and EVEN Toyota ( i say EVEN Toyota because of all the recalls they've been getting lately) will always be respected a little more.
I disagree. Time can radically change people's opinions. True, Toyota and Honda never had a debacle like the Hyundai Excel to overcome, but even now we can see some of the backlash against Honda and Toyota. Their ubiquity has made them mainstream, boring, and unfriendly. Their reputations are falling among the younger crowd which, however you want to defend it, will be the group with the purchasing power within the next 10-15 years. Toyota has kind of addressed this with Scion and Lexus and Honda to a lesser extent with Acura, but many people in my age group (<30) don't consider the Toyota or Honda brand as a preferable vehicle for ownership. I personally don't see a Honda-brand car in my near future and most of my friends don't either.

Given how Hyundai's crafted their lineup, I'm not suggesting they would fill that gap. They've defined themselves as a more stylish, better value Toyota/Buick. But the point is I don't think Toyota and Honda's level of respect is where it once was and I wouldn't put anything past Hyundai (or their public perception) given their meteoric rise in just the last few years.