Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

MT: Toyota Solara and entire Mitsu lane in doubt

Old 07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT: Toyota Solara and entire Mitsu lane in doubt

The current issue of 'Motor Trend' on the newsstand [cover: Dodge Challenger w/ Ford Crown Vic cop cars] published rumors that Toyota will dump the Solara before 2009, and that Mitsubishi is making contigency plans to pull out of US sales.

Mitsu US sales, 2002: 345K
Current: ~ 130K or so, heading towards 115K

Note: 115K is about 1/3 of 345K.

Is Mitsu GOING/GOING/GONE?

And does anyone care about the Solara, or MT's inane remark that [paraphrasing] "maybe this means the Accord Coupe is gone, too" ?!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:54 PM
mayonaise

good riddance. the solara is ugly as shit. :barf:
Old 07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Mitsubishi Motors is in dire straits in almost all markets across the globe

Japan they had the 30 year coverup for defects that they got caught in and had to spend billions and recall millions of cars/trucks...sales plummeted substantially and Mitsubishi Motors is a shell of its former self

In the US MM sold 50% of its cars to fleets and had the highest acceptance ratings for credit risk buyers to sell cars to retail customers...that has backfired substantially and they lost millions on reposessions and terrible resale value b/c thier cars never kept value and fleet sales unloaded them as if they were worth nothing

MM will just go away...DCX has stopped bailing them out and Mitsubishi Keiretsu does not seem to want to pour another $4+ billion into a something that is failing so fast

the real effect means the Evo will disappear unfortunately...it is such a brilliant car...maybe someone will buy the skeleton of MM and resurrect it under a strong brand
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by mayonaise
good riddance. the solara is ugly as shit. :barf:
i kinda like the Solara...it is a good quality option for a convertible...many mfgrs sell them but they will never be a high volume vehicle

i think Toyota is giving up on the market in order to focus on profitability rather than size (maybe the crisis with GM is making them rethink their growth)
Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
AcuraFanatic

I don't doubt the rumors. The source, however, sucks.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Troopa-R

Does anyone have breakout numbers for Accord coupe vs. Solara? I remember someone mentioning here that back with the Gen6 Accord, the coupes were making up about 30% of Accord sales, which would be enough to justify keeping the coupe around. And I continue to see a lot of new Accord coupes on the road (but that may just be because I'm in California)

As for Mitsubishi, that sucks for them. Well... more room for the Chinese I guess.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:05 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Troopa-R
Does anyone have breakout numbers for Accord coupe vs. Solara? I remember someone mentioning here that back with the Gen6 Accord, the coupes were making up about 30% of Accord sales, which would be enough to justify keeping the coupe around. And I continue to see a lot of new Accord coupes on the road (but that may just be because I'm in California)

As for Mitsubishi, that sucks for them. Well... more room for the Chinese I guess.
There's plenty of Coupes here on the East Coast as well.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
ItsaHonda

Is Mitsu GOING/GOING/GONE?>>>

No more smoking oil burners to litter the roads?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
lexusis350

The interior of the Solara sucks. Bad quality, looks ugly and not as nice as other cars. The CLK is much better looking on the inside.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:54 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by lexusis350
The interior of the Solara sucks. Bad quality, looks ugly and not as nice as other cars. The CLK is much better looking on the inside.
ok...are you sure you were in a "real" Solara...the interior is one of the nicer ones you can find in a sub $30k convertible...let's just look it its main competition:
Chrysler Seabreeze (I'm making Pun to the douche brand)
Mustang Convertible
PT Cruiser
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Pontiac G6
(maybe a low end A4 convertible or a 3 series convertible)

you are comparing it to a $50k Benz?...what a crock...the Solara costs shy of $30k...at least get apples to apples...even the SLK costs $40k

so it doesn't have as nice an interior as a car costing $20k more...what'd you expect...but for the money the Solara is one of the higher quality designs of its price range