Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

CRX back for 2007!!

Old 08-01-2005, 06:35 AM
smakdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 2-door european civic on TOV's website would make a nice CRX in the states....
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 AM
DakarM

It'll never happen!!!

here is hoping it does
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I'll use quotes to say what needs to be said, AGAIN.

Originally Posted by sherwood
i still say that they are goign to axe the rsx and rename it the crx on the honda side of things
Originally Posted by DakarM
It'll never happen!!!
Aside from the fact that they're moving forward platform-wise, doing this would kill RSX resale values.

If and when a CRX comes out it will be its own design, distinct from the RSX.

Your line of reasoning just doesn't fit in with how car companies operate.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by smakdown
The new 2-door european civic on TOV's website would make a nice CRX in the states....
yeah, a little shorter and lower in the back minus the suicide doors.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spirtual successor, its the same bloodline put into another name during a major revamp as far as i'm concerned...

the change from integra GSR to RSX type-s comes to mind.
saturn ion to the chevy malibu?

i can understand the confusion, but what i am rreally meaning to say is "the CRX will take the place of the RSX" and if they were to continue the name RSX in the acura line i'd believe it to be much like the CRX might be like
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by ED9man
yeah, a little shorter and lower in the back minus the suicide doors.
i don't think it has suicide doors. the handles are somewhat hidden on the door garnish - next to the c-pillar.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 AM
jstarry37

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I still think the 1.8L is K-series...especially since Honda has gone in perfect alphabetical order with their engines. They have J, K and L now so the next up is M.

Edit: And I'm also concerned the front headlight design encroaches on the TSX/TL too much...one thing Honda doesn't want is resemblance between Acura and Civic.
since when has there ever been a 1.8L K-series? haha
Old 08-29-2005, 06:24 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstarry37
since when has there ever been a 1.8L K-series? haha
Yeah haha

They've been testing mules since 2004.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/200...05a/index.html

TOKYO, Japan, July 5, 2005 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has developed a new 1.8l i-VTEC engine to be introduced this fall in the new Civic that achieves both more powerful performance and improved fuel economy. The engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy. Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter engine, fuel economy approximately 6% better than the current 1.7-liter Civic engine, making it one of the world’s most efficient 1.8-liter engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine.

Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

A DBW (Drive By Wire) system provides high-precision control over the throttle valve while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance that leaves the driver unaware of any torque fluctuations. Other innovations include a variable-length intake manifold that delivers optimum inertia effect to further improve intake efficiency and piston oil jets that cool the pistons to suppress engine knock, for powerful torque even at rpm ranges typical in normal driving. The new engine delivers a high level of performance, with maximum output of 103kW (140PS) and maximum torque of 174N·m (17.7kg·m). It also delivers cleaner emission performance, employing a 2-bed catalytic converter positioned immediately after the manifold and high-precision air-fuel ratio control to achieve emission levels 75% below 2005 Japanese government standards (based on Honda in-house testing).

In addition, lower block construction resulting in a more rigid engine frame, aluminum rocker arms, high-strength cracked connecting rods, a narrow, silent cam chain, and other innovations make the engine more compact and lightweight. It is both lighter and shorter overall than the current Civic 1.7l engine, and quieter as well.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:05 AM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

i'll believe it when i see it.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Paul
Eater of Rice

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Yeah haha

They've been testing mules since 2004.

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/200...05a/index.html

TOKYO, Japan, July 5, 2005 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has developed a new 1.8l i-VTEC engine to be introduced this fall in the new Civic that achieves both more powerful performance and improved fuel economy. The engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy. Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter engine, fuel economy approximately 6% better than the current 1.7-liter Civic engine, making it one of the world’s most efficient 1.8-liter engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine.

Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

A DBW (Drive By Wire) system provides high-precision control over the throttle valve while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance that leaves the driver unaware of any torque fluctuations. Other innovations include a variable-length intake manifold that delivers optimum inertia effect to further improve intake efficiency and piston oil jets that cool the pistons to suppress engine knock, for powerful torque even at rpm ranges typical in normal driving. The new engine delivers a high level of performance, with maximum output of 103kW (140PS) and maximum torque of 174N·m (17.7kg·m). It also delivers cleaner emission performance, employing a 2-bed catalytic converter positioned immediately after the manifold and high-precision air-fuel ratio control to achieve emission levels 75% below 2005 Japanese government standards (based on Honda in-house testing).

In addition, lower block construction resulting in a more rigid engine frame, aluminum rocker arms, high-strength cracked connecting rods, a narrow, silent cam chain, and other innovations make the engine more compact and lightweight. It is both lighter and shorter overall than the current Civic 1.7l engine, and quieter as well.
I believe those are engines with the R designation.