Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   News & Rumors Archives (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/news-and-rumors-archives-49/)
-   -   2008 Nissan Skyline (or Infiniti?) GT-R spy shots and rumors (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/news-and-rumors-archives/179509-2008-nissan-skyline-or-infiniti-gt-r-spy-shots-and-rumors.html)

MrFatbooty 03-07-2005 06:12 AM

2008 Nissan Skyline (or Infiniti?) GT-R spy shots and rumors

First let's bring everyone up to speed on the current status of information regarding the upcoming Skyline GT-R.
  • It will be sold worldwide, including the USA.
  • It will be based on Nissan's FM platform which underpins the 350Z, Skyline/G35, Infiniti M and Infiniti FX.
  • It will have a twin turbo V6 derived from the VQ family displacing somewhere from 3.2 to 3.5 liters.
  • It will have all wheel drive, probably some variation of Nissan's ATTESA E-TS system.
  • It will probably have all wheel steering which Nissan has previously called Super HICAS (High Capacity Actively-controlled Steering), but is called Rear Active Steer on the new Infiniti M.
The latest pictures of any kind of test mule are of this car which is badged Infiniti G35 with flared fenders and a GT-R style wing testing at the Nurburgring in Germany.
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...chmentid=40242 https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/a...chmentid=40243

Two points which have caused much speculation in the past are the price and whether the car will be badged a Nissan or an Infiniti for the US market.

Carlos Ghosn has stated the price will be less than twice the 350Z which essentially establishes a cap at about $70k. In the past certain folks such as myself have argued that Nissan would be hard pressed to set the base price much higher than $50k. But now with the new Corvette Z06 coming out and set to be priced around $60k, Nissan may have a bit more leeway in approaching that $70k upper limit.

As for the name it appears the car will in fact be a Nissan on these shores, even if it does share most of its bodywork with the Infiniti G35 (a.k.a. Nissan Skyline) coupe. According to Automotive News,

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. is on track to badge its high-performance Skyline GT-R sports car in North America as a Nissan, not as an Infiniti.

A brief debate erupted within the company over the car's U.S. badging. Some argued that Infiniti needed a performance car, whereas the Nissan brand already has the 350Z.

"The decision is not made," said Carlos Tavares, Nissan's vice president for the product strategy and product planning division. But he added, "If we don't change the specific target customer" for the Skyline GT-R, "it will be a Nissan."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101927

So that's the state of things as they stand right now. Any new developments will be posted as they become available.

asianautica 03-07-2005 08:00 AM

That article has been out awhile ago and I think that image has been torn apart and proven by the PS expert that that image is not real and is a PS image. Nissan is doing such a good job at keeping this a secret that all the info we have are all speculations. Except for the hints that Nissan released. A couple more facts that we know at this point is it will have 450+HP, engine will be tuned by Cosworth and the suspension and driving dynamic is being tuned by Lotus. I think Nissan will reveal it at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon though, so we'll just have to till then to see.

zishan 03-07-2005 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by asianautica
That article has been out awhile ago and I think that image has been torn apart and proven by the PS expert that that image is not real and is a PS image. Nissan is doing such a good job at keeping this a secret that all the info we have are all speculations. Except for the hints that Nissan released. A couple more facts that we know at this point is it will have 450+HP, engine will be tuned by Cosworth and the suspension and driving dynamic is being tuned by Lotus. I think Nissan will reveal it at this year's Tokyo Auto Salon though, so we'll just have to till then to see.

you should go to freshalloy more often. nissan has changed their minds. they will do all the tuning in house for both suspension and engine.

MrFatbooty 03-07-2005 08:50 AM

Although there still were those "Nissan G35" test mules running around tracks in England purportedly with Lotus-tuned suspension bits for the GT-R.

And I'm pretty sure the widebody G35 shots are real. There's nothing in them which would indicate a photoshop to me. I don't necessarily think they indicate production styling. The fenders are probably just flared out to not draw too much attention to the car while testing the GT-R running gear which has a wider track than the regular Skyline.

asianautica 03-07-2005 08:59 AM

I don't know much about PS so I can't say much. I'm just reporting what I read from other threads about this car. In my350Z.com, they have a whole forum just for the next GT-R. That's where I get my info from.

zishan 03-07-2005 10:19 AM

well a couple of years ago nissan said that the skyline coupe (g35 coupe) and the gt-r will be seperate models now. Meaning they will no longer share the same body style. Although there will probably be plenty of similarities, nissan had said it will no longer be called skyline gt-r. the gt-t line and skyline line are supposed to be two different lines now. Since they will be on the same platform, I'm sure that they'll be using the g35 coupe to test the power plant, suspension mods, brakes, etc. Now it was a couple of years ago when nissan decided this so they might very well have changed their minds.

MrFatbooty 03-07-2005 10:36 AM

Correct. Which is why the spy pics I posted can be real, undoctored pictures without necessarily representing what the GT-R will look like.

M Type X 03-08-2005 04:58 PM

It's still not clear from Freshalloy what's going on with the Nissan supercar project.
Just like we know little about Toyota's program.

MrFatbooty 03-08-2005 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by M Type X
Just like we know little about Toyota's program.

It turned out to be the Lexus LF-A concept.

M Type X 03-13-2005 02:01 PM

What, you expect them to build the LF-A "as is" ?? I think of it as being prettymuch, well, a concept.