Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) spy shots

Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianautica
I don't know why you're saying the seat control for the 7 series is complicated. I sat in it at the auto show and it took me 30 sec to figure you how to work it and another 2-3 min to get the seat just the way I want it. I think the I-drive idea is good, but to most people, it's still too advanced for them.
It took 30 seconds to figure out how to move parts of the seat around? It should take literally two seconds to find the seat controls AND begin using them. Half a minute is 28 seconds too long. My gripe is not the length of time; its the needless complexity of the control which is a symptom of a problem that plagues the car -- its more complicated to use it than a car ought to be.

iDrive isn't a bad idea; its just poorly executed. You've obviously never used it, but thats beside the point, which is that the interface was designed badly. It just shouldn't take more than a twist of a knob or the push of a single button to adjust the volume or the radio station on the audio system.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:58 PM
zishan

Originally Posted by Ochdx
Mercedes copying Lexus.... Just slap that MB grille on the LS, and you have the new S class.
maybe but the current ls430 was a wannabe previous gen s-class. So I guess they mercedes is copying themselves.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:17 PM
asianautica

Originally Posted by benjamin
It took 30 seconds to figure out how to move parts of the seat around? It should take literally two seconds to find the seat controls AND begin using them. Half a minute is 28 seconds too long. My gripe is not the length of time; its the needless complexity of the control which is a symptom of a problem that plagues the car -- its more complicated to use it than a car ought to be.

iDrive isn't a bad idea; its just poorly executed. You've obviously never used it, but thats beside the point, which is that the interface was designed badly. It just shouldn't take more than a twist of a knob or the push of a single button to adjust the volume or the radio station on the audio system.
Oooh, it took me an additional 28 seconds... give me a break. I was just giving an example. It's not like I sit there and time myself. Don't forget I was looking at other things too, considering it's a car show. I didn't think it was complicated at all. My impression was cool, I can actually control the lateral support. I didn't feel like it has needless complexity, at least not everything except the iDrive. But that's just me.

You're right, I've never personally used the iDrive, but I've read about it and seen it. I agree that it could be simpler w/ more knobs and buttons. It's their choice/design. Isn't there volume control on the steering wheel?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:25 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by zishan
maybe but the current ls430 was a wannabe previous gen s-class. So I guess they mercedes is copying themselves.
:werd:

I would also say that current S class styling > these pics.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:32 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Mercedes-Benz will offer a gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain in its next-generation S-Class. The hybrid will likely debut a year from now at the Frankfurt motor show.

Mercedes-Benz’s latest hybrid powertrain, previewed at this year’s Detroit show, uses a V6 gasoline engine and two electric motors sending power to the rear wheels. In the S-Class, the likely V6 will be the 272-hp 3.5-liter V6 from the new SLK, combined with electric motors.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100683
Old 11-21-2004, 01:40 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Here's another spy shot and/or photoshop:

Old 11-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

the doors and window/arch reminds me of the TSX in that pic...
Old 11-21-2004, 05:13 PM
mayonaise

does anyone know who works at this mercedes tokyo design studio? europeans keep talking about how japanese can't possibly design a car that's passionate, emotional, exciting, etc... like it's a genetic pre-disposition towards conformity and "bland" car designs. and yet, mercedes designs their flagship in tokyo? :squint:
Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by zishan
not maybe.. it WAS a ripoff of the outgoing s-class. screw toyota...
Old 11-21-2004, 06:35 PM
iNteGraz92
forever lurking

Originally Posted by mayonaise
does anyone know who works at this mercedes tokyo design studio? europeans keep talking about how japanese can't possibly design a car that's passionate, emotional, exciting, etc... like it's a genetic pre-disposition towards conformity and "bland" car designs. and yet, mercedes designs their flagship in tokyo? :squint:
meh, it's all just a bunch of buzz words they keep throwing around. it doesn't make their reliability any better. :chuckles:

Quick Reply: 2006 Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W221) spy shots