Notices

any bike mechanics here?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any bike mechanics here?

1985 honda vf500c magna v30....

ive only had the bike for a week, ive driven it twice and my dad drove it once. i am a beginner and still a little shaky about riding...

there is a small gas drip on my bike, i seem to have it narrowed down to which hose it is.... for some reason, i can fire the bike up in the driveway and let it warm up and have no problems, if i take it on a rip... thats when it drips some. maybe from building pressure under the throttle...

it is right over where the swing arm bolts to the frame there are 2 hoses that go into what i presume to be the fuel pump... sort of behind the battery and a little bit lower... probably too vague a description...

anyway, is there any easy way to get to that with out taking the rear wheel off? im thinking maybe if i take the plastic fender liner/splash guard thing out i might be able to get to it.... just looking for insight from an experienced tech.

Last edited by ISP James; 07-06-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

How full is your gas tank? When you fill up NEVER fill right to the brim. You always need to leave some 'expanding/sloshing' room. The dripping gas is probably from the overfill line. Try to take a picture of it if you can.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

when i first got the bike, there wasnt much gas in it at all... it ran out on tuesday night after i did an oil change i started it up to get it warm & take it for a ride, it quit after a couple of minutes... i put < 2 gallons in it last night.

ive definitely pinpointed the general area of the leak/drip, like i say its back above the swing arm/frame joint and slightly below the battery. looking at my service manual it appears to be the fuel pump. the directions to remove the fuel pump are pretty involved, if i can avoid taking the tank/reserve tank, coolant reservoir, etc out to get to the hoses in question, i would like to...

I will try to take some pics but I am going to the in-laws for the day and into tomorrow so it probably wont be until tomorrow/monday.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 PM
klik29

It shouldn't be that hard of a task... I have an internal fuel pump(Hayabusa) and several times I've removed the tank pulled the fuelpump and pulled the float (tells how much gas is in there) to cuss it ....It sticks sometimes and reads a full tank ,when i really dont. But anyway get it fixed soon,, at these gas prices ya cant really afford to be dumping gas in the road.good luck with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

Originally Posted by klik29
It shouldn't be that hard of a task... I have an internal fuel pump(Hayabusa) and several times I've removed the tank pulled the fuelpump and pulled the float (tells how much gas is in there) to cuss it ....It sticks sometimes and reads a full tank ,when i really dont. But anyway get it fixed soon,, at these gas prices ya cant really afford to be dumping gas in the road.good luck with it.

my primary concern with removing the tank is i read a lot about guys with older bikes breaking the fuel line when they lift the tank ..... even if its drained i dont want to create work for myself....

but oddly enough, the gas leak randomly disappeared so im not gonna worry til it comes back.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Megatron
TF-Plasticrack Crew

Well now that you're issue seems to be solved

I've been lurking any motorcycle board I can find, and reading everything out there. One thing that has me worried is storing the bike over the winter. I've been reading all sorts of horror stories about the carbs getting fouled from sitting.

I store my Eclipse over the winter. Before storing, I change the oil and top off the fluids. I add fuel stabilizer to the tank, and take it out for a spin. During the winter, I start it up once a month and get it up to normal operating temp. If the roads are dry, I'll go for a 1/2 hour drive. I'll also charge the battery when needed.

The motorcycle on the other hand has that mysterious carburetor with jets, float bowls, etc. I plan on going the same route with the motorcycle as with the car for the winter storage (except for going for a ride). I also am going to pick up a motorcycle battery trickle charger.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to care for the carburetor during winter storage?