Notices

slipping out of 2nd gear!!!

Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
99GSRbeerman
There is a speed limit?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping out of 2nd gear!!!

i have a 99 cbr f4 with 30k miles on it. i had taken some bad advice like an idiot and put regular motor oil in the last oil change. ever since that point my bike will slip out of 2nd gear as im driving??? i think that the clutch is just glazed over or somthing of that nature. any one have an idea of whats wrong? any help would be great.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 AM
ED9man
driver

You're an idiot for listening to him, change it with Honda motorcycle oil and hope it goes away.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Originally Posted by 99GSRbeerman
i have a 99 cbr f4 with 30k miles on it. i had taken some bad advice like an idiot and put regular motor oil in the last oil change. ever since that point my bike will slip out of 2nd gear as im driving??? i think that the clutch is just glazed over or somthing of that nature. any one have an idea of whats wrong? any help would be great.

Depending on the oil, you can put regular car motor oil in a bike; so I've heard. You just have to know which one. I've talked to a lot of people who have rode motorcycles waaay longger than me(I've rode for 5 years) and a lot of them use certain kinds of car oils with no problems whatsoever. Obviously, in your case, you put the wrong kind. Best thing right now to do is to put regular mc oil and see what happens. If you need to read up on it more, check this site out:
http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

and you can read this thread too which where I got the above link from:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ght=motor+oils

After reading them, it's up to you what you want to do.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by DamnAccord
Depending on the oil, you can put regular car motor oil in a bike; so I've heard. You just have to know which one. I've talked to a lot of people who have rode motorcycles waaay longger than me(I've rode for 5 years) and a lot of them use certain kinds of car oils with no problems whatsoever. Obviously, in your case, you put the wrong kind. Best thing right now to do is to put regular mc oil and see what happens. If you need to read up on it more, check this site out:
http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

and you can read this thread too which where I got the above link from:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ght=motor+oils

After reading them, it's up to you what you want to do.
You are correct. I use Fully Synthetic Mobile 1 15W 50 car oil in my 02 R1. It has to do with what's in the oil and if it makes the clutch slip or not. Most car oils have something in it which is not good for motorcycle clutches, but i've read where Mobile 1 fully synthetic is good.

Last edited by Tankard; 12-29-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
vesper

I think you are confusing your clutch with your transmission. The kind of oil you use will have no effect whatsoever on whether it stays in gear (once it's IN gear.)

SH rated and newer auto oils MAY make your clutch slip, but there will be no effect on your transmission.

Many people who's opinions I respect use Shell Rotella T from walmart. Cheap, and fine as long as you change it at reasonable intervals.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM
MTEng

Originally Posted by 99GSRbeerman
I have an old CBR1000 (60K) that's popping out of third... most likely bent shift fork and/or worn shift drum. Have not taken it apart yet to inspect... I'm just skipping over third gear for the time being
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 AM
MathGSR98

You have to make sure that your oil is compatible with wet clutch. Your bike clutch shares the same oil than your transmission but cars don't.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
norcal_750

you more then likely have a bent shift fork
Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
junior636

if i were you...take the easy steps an do a full oil change with whatever oil you were using before the last one....take some easy rides with good firm shifts and get everything running as it was..if not....look elsewhere...

your bike is not the first one to have a second gear problem....many kawasaki's (the zx6e was famous for it) early generation R6 had problems..and im sure hondas did as well...

anyhow if its a mechanical problem its not a cheap fix....you can do it yourself if you are that mechanically sound...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Llamaguy

it's not the oil that's the problem. Unless you can't tell the difference between a slipping clutch and a lost gear!

Breaking 2nd gear on a sports bike isn't uncommon. You most likely need to rebuild your tranny and learn how to shift properly.