Notices

Thinking of getting myself a MC...

Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 PM
idol4232003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting myself a MC...

hi folks,

with the crazy gas prices lately, i've been thinking of getting a MC to use for daily commute to/from work...about 80 miles/day. now, i dunno anything about MC's and i've never driven a MC b4, but i'm confident i can learn that rather quickly. i'd like to get ideas on what main differences there are between owning a MC vs. a car (i.e., insurance, maintenance, etc.). also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the different kinds of MC (sport, touring, cruiser, etc.)? also, any suggestions on a specific MC under $8k? sorry if i'm asking stupid questions...but i want to know what to expect b4 i jump in
Old 04-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Tankard

I would'nt consider getting a bike just because of gas prices. To tell you the truth, it's more expensive to ride my sport bike than it is to drive my car or truck. Tires on sport bikes only last around 3 thousand miles and are rather expensive. Not to mention, insurance on my bike is more than my car or truck. This is only because i've got full coverage on my bike. Anyway, point being, is my bike cost more to ride/have than my car or truck. Now maybe if you get a moped or something along that line, it may be cheaper.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Bikes can be really expensive to insure(depending on the bike, where you're from and who your insurance company is). And believe it or not, if you don't know how to wrench on your own bike, it can be more expensive to maintain. Bike parts aren't cheap. On my bike, I get about 130 miles before my reserve light turns on. And to get a full tank, I spend about 12 bucks(regular gas in CA). And it's always wise to have more of a humble mind set when you first start out... trust me, you don't want to be too confident when you first start out. That builds up over time.

But if you must insist on getting one; especially for an 80 mile commute, you should get something more upright. I suggest a Suzuki SV650(S or non S), Ducati Monster 620, or a Kawasaki EX500. Those are great bikes to start on. And when you get better on it, you can humiliate those guys who start out on supersport 600s or 1000s that can't turn if their life depended on it. Anyone can go in a straight line. And IF you do outgrow the bike, at least you started out on something small and got the basics down which will make you an even better rider in the long haul.

On a sidenote, I have a friend who has an EX250 who loves to show up people who think they are all badass because they bought the biggest and most powerful thing out in the market.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:15 AM
DIVERDOG14

I drive a suzuki RF600R as a daily driver (when it's not raining) and have had a lot of luck keeping the expences down.
First my V-8 Youkon can sit in the driveway and save me the 50.00 plus in gas a week I would spend and let's me tinker on my CRX.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally Posted by DamnAccord
But if you must insist on getting one; especially for an 80 mile commute, you should get something more upright. I suggest a Suzuki SV650(S or non S), Ducati Monster 620, or a Kawasaki EX500. Those are great bikes to start on. And when you get better on it, you can humiliate those guys who start out on supersport 600s or 1000s that can't turn if their life depended on it. Anyone can go in a straight line. And IF you do outgrow the bike, at least you started out on something small and got the basics down which will make you an even better rider in the long haul.

On a sidenote, I have a friend who has an EX250 who loves to show up people who think they are all badass because they bought the biggest and most powerful thing out in the market.
The EX250 you speak of? What make and year? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally Posted by honda_pilot
EX250's are made by Kawasaki and have been pretty much unchanged since 1988. Neat cheap little bikes though.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Originally Posted by honda_pilot

What agent said. They're little 250cc parallel twins by Kawasaki that are really light weight(304 lbs dry) and are easy to turn/lean. Not much on the power department though. But it makes up for it with it's ease of manuverability(sp?) because of it's light weight. A lot of experienced racers use these little things in the AMA races. But they are also great bikes to learn on. I'm still trying to find a decently priced used one in good condition... with no luck damn it.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Gaaccord

One that was forgotten and IS often forgotten is the Kawasaki ZR-7 and ZR-7S...

Its a standard but a sport standard ad uses and air and oil cooled ~750cc engine to make around 80 HP. THe S models especially get great gas mileage and these are known as highway cruisers that can turn for you on the weekends. Anything but a sport bike will save you on maintence etc the higher the HP out of a tiny engine the higher the stess etc. Also keep in mind that most insurance prices are set by model and displacement nothing else.

I have been riding for 4-5 years now and my insurance is like 150 a year on my zr-7s with state farm as my third vehicle.

I get 200 mpg on the hwy and 160 or so in town out of a 5 gallon tank on mine.

With the fairing the zr-7 is really the perfect commuter bike since it has plenty of power to pull you and someone else around but isnt crazy about it.

OH btw i learned on a UJM suzuki gs650GSL 83 model mine had 9000 miles on it when i got it and was already outfitted with crash bars etc.

The little ninjas the 250 i think is known for needing engine rebuilds after 20k or something like that... and if you are over 6 ft i would think it would be very underpowered. Th ex and sv's i looked at as well but since i am 6'5 the kawa suited my frame much better and i have been very happy.

let me know if you need more info i am in GA

B
Old 04-28-2005, 07:52 PM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Originally Posted by Gaaccord
The little ninjas the 250 i think is known for needing engine rebuilds after 20k or something like that... and if you are over 6 ft i would think it would be very underpowered. Th ex and sv's i looked at as well but since i am 6'5 the kawa suited my frame much better and i have been very happy.

I never heard of rebuilding the ex250 engines after 20k. My old 92 EX250 had 35k and it was running strong. I just made sure I maintained it right(oil changes, adjustments, cleaned out the carbs, etc.). And I'm 6'0 and had no problems with it. Hell, one of my other friends is 6'3 and loves his 250. But he's only 180 punds. Eh, but what do I know? :dunno:
Old 04-29-2005, 11:22 AM
craig5_12

I'm gonna catch some hell from everybody for this.......but honestly the Buell Blast is an excellent beginner bike. Granted it's a "Harley" but Mr. Buell knew what he was doing when he built it. It get's the best gas mileage out there (70+ MPG!!!), can be picked up off Ebay for pretty cheap, and is made for beginner riders. (i.e. very low maintenence) and I.M.H.O. look a helluv a lot better than the cheezy EX250 or EX500! More of a "streefighter" look than a wannabe superbike look. Check it out, you may see something you like and end up with something that not everybody else is riding....
As for me though, I'm sticking to my F4i.....Honda Power all the way...Unless someone wants to trady for a 1000RR.........mwahahahahaha