Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Transmission Fluid Change - '06 Pilot

Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
TigerJon73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change - '06 Pilot

Hello,

I own an '06 Pilot I use for work. I purchased it new from a dealership in St. Joseph, MO in November of '05 and have about 105k miles on it. I have to say that this vehicle has been a pleasure to own. I have been a Honda guy for about 18 years (followed the good advice from my dad) and between my wife and I we have owned 7 Hondas and one Acura. Knock on wood, we have never had anything close to a major problem with one. My wife currently drives an '08 Odyssey EX-L and it has been fantastic so far.

I recently dropped about $800 bucks at my local dealership for a new timing belt/waterpump, a rear-end diff flush and fill ,and an oil change. In light of this hefty tab, I think I may try to do an ATF refill on my own. I believe I have found the fill-plug (hex head bolt on back of tranny that says ATF), but not sure where the drain plug is (I found a blue plug towards the underneath, front of the vehicle, but not sure this is it). Any help, including pics or video, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jon
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
TigerJon73

Additional question: Can the Pilot's transmission be filled by way of the dipstick spout? Thanks.

Jon

Last edited by TigerJon73; 10-26-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Carbuff

Usually the drain plugs are a square-hole 3/8" bolt on the lowest point of the trans. You just use the ratchet on it, no socket needed.

You will need aluminum crush washers for the drain and fill holes (if fitted).

If it's never been done before, I would drain and fill the trans fluid TWICE to replace 75% of the fluid. After that, follow a 30K or two-year change interval with a single drain.

Ask where the trans is refilled when you buy the Honda Z1 ATF from the dealer.

Last edited by Carbuff; 10-27-2009 at 03:29 PM.